It's here! Thoughts from a 2008 Macbook upgrader

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ProwlingTiger, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

My base Gold Macbook Retina arrived today, about 30 minutes ago. I'm coming from an early-2008 Macbook 2.4GHz. I decided to order the new Macbook because I also have a custom-built Intel PC that does all my heavy lifting like a boss, so I didn't need the power of a MBP. Also I desire the size of the new Macbook.

So I open it up and go to the setup process. First screen asks me what language. I choose and BEACHBALL. I get through it to the next screen, what country, beachball. I make it to the FileVault screen without another beachball but here I had one that lasted an eternity. So I restarted the computer, went through at least one more beachball and wound up setting up FileVault while logged in.

Hopefully this is not a symbol of my life to come with this machine. Also my keyboard inexplicably quit working for a couple minutes. No idea what that was about or how I fixed it.

Beachballs aside, here are my other impressions:

1. The gold color is the bomb. As you can see in my pictures, sometimes it comes off a little silver. The touchpad is a slightly different color of gold, more of a classic "gold bar" gold tone than the rest of the machine which is more champagne.

2. The keyboard is wonderful. Honestly, when I first typed on it, I didn't feel a difference and it felt so natural. Now I can easily tell the difference but I love typing on it all the more. As a side note, I use an Apple keyboard on my Windows machine as well as the chicklet on my 2008 Macbook so I'm definitely an Apple keyboard fan.

3. The touchpad really does feel like it is moving. It feels exactly like a Macbook Pro when you do a light click. If you start to do a force click on a word but you're not there all the way, OS X has a subtle animation where it brings out the content slowly, as it begs you to press harder. I have a screenshot to illustrate this.

4. The machine starts so quick I'm not even going to time it.

5. I have not ran any speed tests or benchmarks yet.

6. The retina screen is beautiful. I'm running it in the default resolution of 1280x800. I tried 1440x900 but the text was too small, even with my contacts in, I didn't like having a headache.

7. The design of the machine is the best of any Apple notebook thus far. It truly is a world-class design and it both looks and feels like that. Side note: the Apple logo behind the lid is a fingerprint magnet.

I'll update this as I spend more time with the machine. Just got Dropbox synced and have to install some more programs. Last night, I loaded up a USB drive with content from my previous Macbook. This morning I remembered that there is no way to plug it into the new one since I didn't order the adapter. Oops.

Daniel

Attached Files:

2. newellj macrumors 601

I'll accept darts and stones if people want to toss them at me for saying this, but in what's perhaps an excess of caution, I erased the disk (while it still had nothing installed, so no backup issues) and did an Internet Recovery installation of 10.10.3. I have no idea what's causing these beachballs, and I assume upgrading in place solves any problems, but I'd rather start with bare metal (I guess we have to say bare silicon these days?) and an absolutely virginal installation. Apple seems to have dropped the (beach)ball again? :( Too bad, because the machine is so insanely great that it deserved a better launch...

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Please keep us updated. I am coming off a early 2008 macbook and I have the 1.3/256 ordered in SG. I can't wait until it comes.

4. Z3man macrumors 6502a

When you are running in 1200 x 800 default mode, what is the text size like compared to your 2008 Macbook.

5. djbuu macrumors member

When I opened my MacBook and set it up the first time, I got no beach balls. I guess your mileage may vary.

6. vanimal macrumors 6502a

I can't quite remember because i wasn't paying attention. But my 2015 Macbook Pro i think got stuck at the Fire fault screen too or took a little longer than normal. I think its a setup bug in Yosemite. So i would not use that as a excuse to worry :)

7. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Text size is the same, in my opinion. Crisper because it is retina of course.

I just updated to 10.10.3. It took about 15 minutes after it was downloaded to install. No major issues yet, but I haven't put it through any hardcore tests so far. I did play some 4K videos on Youtube and they looked gorgeous. No lag, stuttering, or heat.

Oh the included Apple stickers are gold! I don't believe my gold iPhones came with gold stickers, but it's been awhile so I can't remember.

Attached Files: