It's in the Air...Wireless Charging?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hexagenia, Jan 9, 2017.

1. hexagenia macrumors member

hexagenia

With all the rumor mongering about wireless charging for upcoming devices, the iPhone is often mentioned as a potential target, but I wonder if the Apple Watch might not also be an incredibly compelling place to develop this capacity? For one, it could once and for all take care of the battery issue, and in many ways, transparently support the device which we're all loving for both good looks and the information that it's able to share in its unique way. I use my SS original to unlock my laptop at work and my desktop at home. Is the next version of HomeKit just having the watch unlock your front door you walk up to it? Turn on your car when you walk out the same door? Securely report your sleep heart rate to your doctor as you drive in? This level of interaction begins to presume a constantly powered device...maybe wireless charging is the proverbial key?

Anyone know if there are any startups or smartwatch companies publicly looking at wireless charging for their watch devices? It's early Monday, but just thinking about how managing power on Apple Watch could become a game changer. Have a good week everyone.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Ummmm didn't we have a post about this a few weeks ago? The watch already has wireless charging...... Unless you can find a way to charge a device with an electric current without touching a base like using the puck than what you're really asking for isn't going to happen in your lifetime.

3. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I've got a feeling it's coming to MacBook first.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Nothing is coming to the Macbook first..... If anything the iPhone which is Apples money maker.

5. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

USBC to MacBook before iPhone.
    Mac much to everyone's surprise is much the money maker.

6. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Because lightning cable makes Apple money.... Apple isn't putting USB C on the iPhones.....

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Pointless argument as the iPhone got Lightning 3 years prior to the Macbook. The iPhone will not get USB-C at all.
    Not compared to the iPhone. By FAR.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Before the iPhone? No. Not even close. The iPhone is 60% of Apple's sales. The iPhone would take priority first.