it's indeed tempting.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .fred, Jun 6, 2009.

  1. .fred macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #1
    So, I was innocently browsing the Apple website one day when i chanced upon the extremely tempting 24-inch iMac :D Seeing the specs like a 1TB hard disk (adding on to my existing 1TB WD My Passport Studio already), the GT 130 graphics card and maxed out ram, it occured to me instantly that this machine I was staring at (well, virtually) was indeed tempting. As I'm currently on a 20-inch iMac (2007, the very first Aluminium ones), 24-inches would certainly be welcome. Also, among the 24-inch models, I chose this model as picking the base model (2.66 Ghz, 9400 graphics card) didn't seem logical to me as it wouldn't give me a big performance boost from my Unibody MBP (2.53 Ghz).

    And here comes my question. If I were to take the plunge for this model, would the iMac see an upgrade soon, be it in the WWDC (doubt it), January or next summer? I mean, if its going to be updated next summer, I wouldn't mind getting it now. There's still a year to go. However, I wouldn't want to buy this and see the iMac updated quickly with the Nehalem processor or something significant enough to warrant (another) upgrade.

    That said, my 20-inch iMac and my MBP are serving me well, so if its a 6 month wait for another breakthrough Mac product, why not. I mean, the Mac product line has been a great pleasure to use for me so far.

    Thanks, and I look forward to your responses.
     
  2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    #2
    Well my first question has to be what is wrong with your current imac? Are you using its full capabilities to warrant the need for an upgrade?

    Do you use it for your profession where you need more speed/power?

    Have you maxed out everything in the imac? Ram/Hard Drive, or if it is a little sluggish a clean install of OSX?

    Running out of space have you tried monolingual to remove unwanted languages and architecture?
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    How would any of us know this? The time between iMac updates has ranged from about 60 days to almost a year.
     
  4. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #4
    Hey Matt.

    The thing is, one of my friends would like to take over the current iMac, not that it has been giving me problems to date. Thus, I'm seeking opinions if its a good option to hand him the current iMac, then get myself a 24-inch one.

    Hey.

    Yeah, but is there a chance that that a significant upgrade is imminent in the next 3-6 months?
     
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #5
    Yes, there is always a chance of a significant upgrade.
     
  6. Gerry R macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2009
    #6
    why wait

    in my opinion, i think that if you get any computer right now, its still going to last you years. you have a lot more flexibility upgrading it, compared to 3 years ago.

    i bought my macbook pro a year ago, right before the multi touch came out. i was a little peeved that i didn't wait, but i'm doing perfectly fine with my non multi touch keypad. besides, my iphone is enough multi-touch for me.

    also if you do get it, and want something new that's come out, sell it. if you think its something you MUST have, you wouldn't mind taking a loss on it.
     
  7. Barney0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    #7
    Wait!

    If I were you, keep using your current setup unless you are in desperate need for a speed/storage/graphics boost.

    If you can afford to wait then the new Nehalem processors could possibly be released in the imacs at the end of this year or early next fall. As soon as this happens there will be a huge slump in second hand imac prices, everyone will be selling and acquiring the significantly faster machines.

    My advice would be to wait for the new machines and then sell your current imac for not much less than a new (now) 24" would be.

    James
     
  8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #8
    ...well if you can get a good price for your current, why not...
     
  9. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mexico
    #9
    Imac just got updated few months ago. So I wouldn't expect any substantial upgrades soon.
    Beside that, because of the current back to school promotions, I don't think it's a great moment to sell used.
    Unless you don't have a great offer (and moneys to spend for a new one), I'd wait until the very end of back to school offers.
     
  10. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    #10
    Hey guys.

    Thanks for the responses so far, appreciate it.

    I guess it all comes down to whether I need it at this point of time. And yeah, my friend can get this iMac off me at a rather good price you see. So if I were to sell this one and get another iMac, it seems the topend 24-incher is the most feasible one for me.

    And considering that Core 2 Duo is already at such a blazing speed now, I don't think I would suffer using it even when Nehalem comes out soon. Thanks, I've decided to go with the top-end 24-inch iMac :apple:
     
  11. Barney0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    #11

    Good luck and all the best!
     

Share This Page