Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theirishjoey

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Hey All,

Right I really want to buy myself a polycarb MacBook. But I have no experience with eBay or craigslist and can get a pretty good price for the new white one anyway. So my question to you is, Should I:

A - Buy one off eBay or Craigslist, white(old and new), black, alu and just buy what I can. Also how much would one cost?

B - Use my discount (the EPP one) and buy a brand new White nVidia MacBook? (£676.20 or so I think)

Joey

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Use your discount and buy it new.

If your buying a white one believe me you dont want it second hand because theres only one reason someone would be trying to sell it on Ebay or Craigslist.

Theirishjoey

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply's guys. I guess it will be new then. At least then it will hold some resale value.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i'd say go ahead and research a little bit more.

keep in mind with a used computer - you may want to replace the battery. and if you are planning to upgrade the hard drive total all that up and see if it would be worth it for you

it may be more cost effective to spend an extra 100-200$ to buy a new computer that you know won't have any problems

and being an avid user of craigslist and ebay, i'd recommend eBay - unless you can find someone on craigslist who will opt to take a little off so you can afford a brand new battery.

just be careful. eBay - you can get something back. craigslist. you will never hear from them again

eBay vendors have too much to risk. a bad feedback rating could make people NEVER buy from them again. if you buy it, you have buyer protection under eBay AND paypal. look up the sellers return policy at the bottom of the listing and make sure that they accept returns.

once you win tell them you will test the computer for 4 or 5 days (battery life, hard drive status, actual physical condition) and then on the end of the 5th day tell them that you would like a return and are shipping it back to them.

once you give them the delivery confirmation # - eBay message them asking if you can work something out, or if they would rather receive negative feedback

that is, worst case scenario of course :)!

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
ye discount route for sure , guaranteed that way , I know I know ebay paypal protection etc but in all fairness they usually don't give a monkeys and leave you hanging, waiting for refunds and that go's on for weeks so I'd go new, especially as you have a discount .

edit, just noticed the name you use, are you fr from Cork ? Apple are in Cork , nip down and see if a family member or someone could buy from the staff store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.