It's nearly time...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Locker, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Locker macrumors 6502

It's almost time to order my new 24" iMac, but after reading through lots of posts about iMacs recently, I have a few questions I'd like clearing up.

1) If I buy a mac now, will a full Tiger DVD come with it? Or will it just be a "Tiger Restoration DVD" or something.
    2) Will upgrading to leopard be flawless? I usually don't like upgrading because it doesn't feel clean and I think things might get messy. Will I need to backup all of my files, make a clean install of Leopard and then transfer them back over?
    3) Will Apple give me a discount on Leopard if I ordered now? Or is there just no chance.
    4) Will AppleCare cover the lock-up and screen discolouration issue (if I get it)?
    5) And finally, if work is done on my iMac with AppleCare, do they extend the plan by a further year?

Any responses would be appreciated :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It will not be install-able on PPC macs, but it is full Tiger with iLife '08...
    Its meant to be fine, but I'm going clean just in case
    They do this after the release date is announced, giving it for free, I guess this will be around 1 or 2 weeks away
    I don't know about the screen, but there is a fix in the works for the freezing issue
    No

3. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks psychofreak :)

Without sounding like a total n00b though, what does PPC mean? I've only heard it used in reference to Pay-Per-Click :p

4. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

It's always 'clean'. Just choose archive and install and you'll have a brand spanking fresh OS install, but still have your old stuff.

5. redraidermacman macrumors regular

ppc= power pc processor, its apple old line of processors like G3-G4-G5, all ppc processors, but im pretty sure leopard will work on ppc systems at least the G5's

6. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

The ALU iMacs come with two DVDs:

Disk #1 (containing the OS-X core), is marked "iMac Media." Don't know for sure, but it might not work on anything except the new ALU iMacs.

Disk #2 (containing iLife '08, and other apps) is marked "Common Media." That seems to suggest that the same Disk#2 is shipped with several (all?) current Mac products (iMac, mini, pro, MacBook).

You can't get to first base without a working Disk #1. It's a bootable image that includes hardware-test and hard disk test/format utilities as well as the OS-X installation bits.

LK