Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Lol those are basic features that Apple is just late on implementing. It's not even the same comparison. Samsung didn't come up with those features. We are talking about unique features that Apple implemented (TouchID, Siri, soon 3DTouch) that Samsung is quick to copy but doesn't do it as good.

First off I'm pretty sure siri was an app on Verizon phones before apple bought them and forcetouch is not owned by apple.anyone can license it and use it from the makers.touch Id was done way before apple thought of it also.

Now to my point you missed.Samsung designed and built the factory and made is isocell 16mp camera.It also spent 15 billion dollars building the fab that makes its 14nm cpus(funny how apple is using them) they also from the ground up designed built and made the factory for there super amoled diamond pixels screens used in the phone so ya its not a phone its a Samsung built galaxy inside!

Apple should change its slogan to its an iPhone with 80% parts made by Samsung inside!

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Really, Samsung? That's the best line you could come up with in your latest ad? It doesn't even make logical sense :confused:

Customers know and understand that the iPhone does not have wireless charging, but there are ways to showcase how useful the feature could be rather than just saying we have it and the iPhone doesn't.

Here is an ad showing how it can be useful. Different ads targeting different folks.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
First off I'm pretty sure siri was an app on Verizon phones before apple bought them and forcetouch is not owned by apple.anyone can license it and use it from the makers.touch Id was done way before apple thought of it also.

Now to my point you missed.Samsung designed and built the factory and made is isocell 16mp camera.It also spent 15 billion dollars building the fab that makes its 14nm cpus(funny how apple is using them) they also from the ground up designed built and made the factory for there super amoled diamond pixels screens used in the phone so ya its not a phone its a Samsung built galaxy inside!

Apple should change its slogan to its an iPhone with 80% parts made by Samsung inside!

So Samsung designed those hardware parts? LOL!!! No Samsung will not be stupid to do that and possibly losing Apple's business.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas

Funny how that works. If they wanted to kill the iPhone, they should just stop supplying parts to the iPhone. I wonder why that hasn't happened yet?

(Siri wasn't an app on Verizon phones, it was an app on the App Store. Touch-ID was not done before, only inaccurate and slow fingerprint sensors. 3D touch is still pending, we'll have to wait and see how others get around the patents this time.)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
No, it's not different because APPLE is doing it. Of course they were (and are) envious of the success of the PC, that's why they made those ads. But that was then, and this is now. We're talking about Samsung's ads (in a technology website no-less, which the average consumer does not read).

There's no problem with me talking and thinking about the ad and the product advertised, I have to because I watched it and wanted to express my thoughts on it as well as get others' thoughts on it :rolleyes:

It's just an ad, and as I said if you are talking about it, it's done it's job. You also get different types of adverts in different countries because of different tastes and mentalities, requirements etc.
But I've seen far worst adverts.

I think it's funny all these slogans ad campaigns come up with, they are pretty daft too.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
It's just an ad, and as I said if you are talking about it, it's done it's job. You also get different types of adverts in different countries because of different tastes and mentalities, requirements etc.
But I've seen far worst adverts.

I think it's funny all these slogans ad campaigns come up with, they are pretty daft too.
I've seen worse as well, can't argue with you there.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Siri was a deal with Verizon and the makers and was signed in 2009 and was supposed to come out on Android in 2010 and the second apple found out about it they bought the company and killed the deal.

So much wrong information out there

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ri-an-android-exclusive-before-apple-purchase

Screenshot_2015-09-13-15-20-36.png

Reactions: Dave.UK

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Siri was a deal with Verizon and the makers and was signed in 2009 and was supposed to come out on Android in 2010 and the second apple found out about it they bought the company and killed the deal.

Sounds like a lost opportunity, but things turned out fine for everyone.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
How so they killed it for Android and put it on the next ios
Android has Google now, which many say is better than Siri. I've never used it, so I wouldn't know. I just know that some are better than other in certain tasks.

Reactions: grkm3

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

I agree that it's LOL funny that so many people think Apple invented everything including Siri and 3D Touch, etc...Did they invent the internet too or was that Al Gore? I can't remember ;)

Siri actually was founded by a small 24 person start up company working on a project for the Dept. of Defense code named CALO. Nonprofits, like SRI, were allowed to benefit and keep the profits that came in from software developed via government funded research and thus how it eventually came to be and was sold fro IIRC like $250M.

Apple is a great company and while all companies are innovative, Apple tends like all companies, to buy up and use technology from others. They didn't "invent" siri, they didn't even come up with the idea to use it on a phone, that was the founders who saw the iPhone as a great new tool that had been launched successfully and they are the ones who thought that AI would be so cool to mass market via a phone.

Reactions: apolloa and grkm3

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Android has Google now, which many say is better than Siri. I've never used it, so I wouldn't know. I just know that some are better than other in certain tasks.

I love google now. It's not a direct replacement for Siri but it does a lot more with more a integrated and seamless approach.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I agree that it's LOL funny that so many people think Apple invented everything including Siri and 3D Touch, etc...Did they invent the internet too or was that Al Gore? I can't remember ;)

Siri actually was founded by a small 24 person start up company working on a project for the Dept. of Defense code named CALO. Nonprofits, like SRI, were allowed to benefit and keep the profits that came in from software developed via government funded research and thus how it eventually came to be and was sold fro IIRC like $250M.

Apple is a great company and while all companies are innovative, Apple tends like all companies, to buy up and use technology from others. They didn't "invent" siri, they didn't even come up with the idea to use it on a phone, that was the founders who saw the iPhone as a great new tool that had been launched successfully and they are the ones who thought that AI would be so cool to mass market via a phone.

Apple did an excellent job destroying the commercials Verizon had running on Android also!

Imagine if those get leaked now? Lol that would be a funny add to watch.

I'm being honest and I think I remember seeing siri beta in my Verizon store to try out and I never did back in the day

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Apple did an excellent job destroying the commercials Verizon had running on Android also!

Imagine if those get leaked now? Lol that would be a funny add to watch.

I'm being honest and I think I remember seeing siri beta in my Verizon store to try out and I never did back in the day

I kinda remember that too. I do remember it being a free app for the phone. Here's a quick history vid on it.

Check out Susan Bennett's videos. She's the woman who is the voice behind Siri.

Reactions: grkm3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't know what kind of adverts Samsung has elsewhere in the world but I thought I was watching the new iPhone 6S ad this afternoon at halftime during the Aston Villa vs Leicester match. Turned out it was the Samsung S6 Edge and Plus lol. The white background, slow turning side by side profile, funky soundtrack, it's uncanny. Clever at the same time I think because people will double take and realise it's a different product to what they were expecting.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't know what kind of adverts Samsung has elsewhere in the world but I thought I was watching the new iPhone 6S ad this afternoon at halftime during the Aston Villa vs Leicester match. Turned out it was the Samsung S6 Edge and Plus lol. The white background, slow turning side by side profile, funky soundtrack, it's uncanny. Clever at the same time I think because people will double take and realise it's a different product to what they were expecting.
Did you see the one they had on during 'Gogglebox' on Friday night. Didn't know it was a Samsung advert till it finished.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No I didn't, but it might be the same one though? The two gold Samsung edges? My father in law commented that it was the new iPhone until the end when Samsung came up. Is it copying or clever marketing I can't decide. Perhaps market research suggests people take notice if they assume it's something else? It got my attention and adverts rarely do :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No I didn't, but it might be the same one though? The two gold Samsung edges? My father in law commented that it was the new iPhone until the end when Samsung came up. Is it copying or clever marketing I can't decide. Perhaps market research suggests people take notice if they assume it's something else? It got my attention and adverts rarely do :)

Yeah same one by the sound of it...

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Lol those are basic features that Apple is just late on implementing. It's not even the same comparison. Samsung didn't come up with those features. We are talking about unique features that Apple implemented (TouchID, Siri, soon 3DTouch) that Samsung is quick to copy but doesn't do it as good.

Yeah it's weird, every single iPhone S upgrade has had Sammy rushing to compete it hit and failing.

3GS: By this time, the iPhone had basically solved all the shortcomings of the previous two iPhones. So this got Samsung to make a phone that could compete with this one. But they failed, the original Galaxy S wasn't a success for various reasons. This was somewhat solved with the next two releases, as the Galaxy S III is probably why the Galaxy is popular nowadays.
4S: In this year, the iPhone got Siri, which was supposed to be a helpful personal assistant. Samsung with the S III added S Voice, which I'm sure we can all agree was awful. Not much has changed, as S Voice still is rubbish, but they now have the great Google Now, which is far more useful.
5S: Of course I'm talking about Touch ID. The iPhone got this fingerprint scanner, then Samsung half a year later tried to compete with it, but failed, as they could not get any tap to scan technologies in that time period.
6S: This is just a prediction. The iPhone now has 3D Touch, which is supposed to make navigation a better experience in general. And that's a nice feature, so Samsung will have to make a competitor. So they will probably use the flexible AMOLED panel to detect pressure, but they will probably only make a few minor features to make use of it. That will probably be fixed in future TouchWiz versions, but I'll bet that when we see it at first, it will be badly implemented.

So yeah, if anybody ever tells you that Samsung are 2 years ahead of :apple: with technologies, tell them to do their research.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yeah it's weird, every single iPhone S upgrade has had Sammy rushing to compete it hit and failing.

3GS: By this time, the iPhone had basically solved all the shortcomings of the previous two iPhones. So this got Samsung to make a phone that could compete with this one. But they failed, the original Galaxy S wasn't a success for various reasons. This was somewhat solved with the next two releases, as the Galaxy S III is probably why the Galaxy is popular nowadays.
4S: In this year, the iPhone got Siri, which was supposed to be a helpful personal assistant. Samsung with the S III added S Voice, which I'm sure we can all agree was awful. Not much has changed, as S Voice still is rubbish, but they now have the great Google Now, which is far more useful.
5S: Of course I'm talking about Touch ID. The iPhone got this fingerprint scanner, then Samsung half a year later tried to compete with it, but failed, as they could not get any tap to scan technologies in that time period.
6S: This is just a prediction. The iPhone now has 3D Touch, which is supposed to make navigation a better experience in general. And that's a nice feature, so Samsung will have to make a competitor. So they will probably use the flexible AMOLED panel to detect pressure, but they will probably only make a few minor features to make use of it. That will probably be fixed in future TouchWiz versions, but I'll bet that when we see it at first, it will be badly implemented.

So yeah, if anybody ever tells you that Samsung are 2 years ahead of :apple: with technologies, tell them to do their research.
That's a great observation. It probably has to do with how the "S" upgrades always bring unique features to the table which others have to rush out and copy as soon as possible. I'm very surprised that as of today, Samsung has yet to release a phone with a copy of the true-tone flash like everyone else did LAST year (which, by the way, another unique Apple feature until everyone else copied). What is taking them so long, they're already two years behind! :D

On a related topic, I can't wait for the year when specs reach the point of diminishing returns and/or impossible to put on a smartphone. Sony already showed us their 4K and 20+ megapixel phone, so you can bet Samsung will do the same soon. But when will they ever stop? Who will want an 8K screen on a phone (apart from the virtual reality niche) when not even TV's have reached a 4K mainstream? PC's have been stuck with 4GB as a standard for a while, so why would a phone need more RAM than a computer? The average consumer does not benefit from the specs game, they benefit from the unique and innovative features game ;)

Reactions: nj1266

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

This!!! I bet this time it will be harder to copy the 3DTouch since half of it is software regardless if they are able to successfully do it in the hardware side.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
This!!! I bet this time it will be harder to copy the 3DTouch since half of it is software regardless if they are able to successfully do it in the hardware side.
Yes, and even if they do, we'll be looking at another S-Voice :D

Reactions: nj1266

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You do know there are already force touch android phone out right?

http://m.androidcentral.com/hands-force-touch-huawei-mate-s
What's your point? That phone isn't made by Samsung, and the article clearly mentions that Apple pioneered the consumer application of that technology anyways. If Samsung puts some variation of 3D Touch in their next Galaxy phone, do you really think they'll be doing so because of Huawei?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.