It's not about the hardware, it's about the apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chilean.Miner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

I'd love for the ipad to be as powerful as the xoom or whatever table is on the horizon, but, there is no comparison to the ipad in regards to amount AND quality of apps (to say nothing of security of apps).

I can't imagine people really care about having the newest tablet just for looks or bragging rights?

2. Gryzor macrumors 6502

So I take it you'll be sticking with iPad 1 then, if hardware has nothing to do with it?

3. urkel macrumors 68030

If that were true then iPad 2 sales will be very low because a very large majority of "the apps" are available on both models and the iPad 2 is simply a hardware refresh.

So i'd say this generation then its all about the hardware.

A small percentage of people buy a large majority of the apps. Its surprising how many iOS users havent synced in months, dont have the latest OS and have no apps except facebook. Its just not important to everyone.

Apples survival has been largely successful because of their targeting people who focus on looks and bragging rights.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think most consumers won't care about the dual-core or the GPU, but the experience. Sure you'll get the the type of folks that want to show off their latest and greatest and the new look of the iPad will do that.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The average iOS user downloads 5 Apps per month.

Obviously some people download a lot more than others. But simple probability theory tells you that its highly unlikely that 5% of the users are responsible for half the downloads.

Apple is benefiting from a virtuous cycle of its own making: A robust and lucrative App market attracts more developers, who create new and exciting Apps, which gives consumers a reason to buy iOS devices, which grows the App market still further. Something Google has been notably unable to do with Android. (They've managed to get the OS on a lot of phones. They haven't given those phone users a good reason to pay for a lot of Apps.)

It is all about the Apps. But that sort of circumstance doesn't just happen by magic.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll be sticking with the iPad because of all the App's I've already bought. Have no desire to repurchase apps on another device / marketplace.

I do have a nook color rooted running Honeycomb, and I still prefer iOS anyway.

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

Heavily invested in iPad apps and no way am I repurchasing Android versions of those apps. And good luck trying to find the same apps optimized for the Xoom.