It's not Apple's fault

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk1wbw, Sep 24, 2014.

1. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Okay all you Android fanboys who bashing Apple. The iOS 8.0.1 issue is with the carriers not pushing out the "carrier update" in time. I just heard from someone who spoke with Apple tech support and they told him that the carrier update didn't come out before the 8.0.1 update, and since that update didn't happen, the new iPhone 6 handsets didn't have cell tower data to connect to.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

That doesn't explain why iOS 8 ****s up TouchID.

Seems like it was simply a screw up by Apple regardless. Even IF it needed a carrier update to be pushed out beforehand, then Apple should have verified that it worked 100% before letting a mass amount of users update.

3. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

NEgative. My AT&T unlocked phone worked perfect while my 2 locked ones did not.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm not Android and always Pro Apple but pointing fingers is not the right answer. Apple should make sure their carrier partners are doing their job.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I could believe that if it was one carrier that messed up. But when it messed up most of the carriers, something tells me the the iOS update was pushed out too early.

7. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

I think the iOS update hit before the carrier update did. And all carriers do this update, so they should have done it quicker.

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Well it does actually. TouchID seems to require cellular service for some reason. We don't know what that reason is. Anyone care to speculate?

9. menist macrumors regular

menist

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

I use touch ID with the phone in Airplane mode all the time. So I'd say this is not accurate.

11. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

It's Apple's fault. The employee should be fired. He messed up iOS 8.0.1 release in addition to causing chinese voiceover and streaming issues during the media event.

12. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Maybe Apple should have released the iOS update later just to make sure that any delay by carriers would not cause any issue. If this update is carrier dependent, then Apple should have at least ensure that the carriers did their updates already. This is basic project planning. If you know task B is dependent on task A being completed, you need to ensure task A is completed first.

13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Apple is the one that pushes out updates -- it is Apple's responsibility to ensure that the update they will push out will work properly.

All these apple apologists should be ashamed of themselves

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

After it was already initialized though, yes?. This seems to be related to initial use.

But you're probably right. There's probably nothing there. Time to move on.

15. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Uhh... this person lied to you. This has nothing to do with the carriers, it was a bug in the patch release. Thus why Apple pulled it.

But, do not worry... 8.0.2 or whatever they call it will release soon enough.

Just don't bend your phone while waiting. ;)

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

TouchID most definitely does NOT require cellular connection.

You can place your 5s on airplane mode with no connection whatsoever and still use TouchID just fine. 8.0.1 simply was a screw up on Apples part. Not a big deal as they will fix it soon and people can downgrade back to iOS 8 but still a **** up nonetheless.

This ^

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

This! If they release something prematurely, it's their fault, pretty simple.

18. 1968 macrumors regular

I'm sure Apple is thrilled to have random internet user #3,946,875,788 sticking up for them.

19. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

And all the Android fanboys who talk out of their butts while ignorant of reality should just shut up and go back to their fanboy forums...

20. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Bro, do you even tech?

21. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Yes HAL. I see that all systems are functioning normally. I will resume normal activity now.

22. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

So Apple pushed the update without applying the carrier files since they didn't receive them yet, thus breaking every users phone that updates and it's the carriers fault because they didn't get it to them in time? An update shouldn't have a deadline and pushed if it doesn't have all the necessary files to function, as well as where was the testing? Clearly this would have been an issue when they would QA this right?