It's not Drag Lock!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShakyJay, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ShakyJay macrumors member

So I have been having an issue with my MBP 13" since I bought it, about a month now. At first the guy at Bes@ Bu@ attributed it to the fact that I was pressing too hard on the track pad and sent me on my way. Two weeks later and the same issue is still happening. So I return to the store and they take the drag lock off, which I have tried before and I tell them this is not the problem-I am not an idiot-I actually know a little about computers. Oh well so here it is another two weeks and the same issue is still going. What do I do?

A little background-I NEED a computer to be able to work on-this is not an option. Bes@ Bu@ said that if there is something truly wrong with the trackpad then they will have to send it off to "somewhere" and it could be gone for 10-14 days. That is just unacceptable. Is anybody familiar with their "Black Tie" protection plan? would it be easier/better just to run the thing over with my truck? instead of dealing with the headaches of shipping it somewhere?

Basically it seems like the mouse is dragging and locking on everything it can....I have to hold and move, or double hold and move, its hard to explain, but there is definitely an issue. But since I mainly work nights, its hard to bring it up to BB when there is an issue.....

Any help would be appreciated.

Wallace-Long time lurker first time poster

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Well BB can be rough with their insurance plans, in what they cover. They do not cover gross accidents that could have been avoided. (IE running it over with a truck)This is assuming that you even have ADH.

But um yea you could risk some nice pop on the logic board.....however that seems extreme for what you are trying to get fixed.

I would say take it in and have them fix it.

Good news is the lemon policy means that if something happens two more times after this you get a whole new laptop.

3. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

So regardless of whether they find anything wherever they are sending it, if they come back and say that everything checks out fine. If I have issues (2x) later on down the road they will replace it?

Another quick question-do they offer-loaners?

4. mmdc macrumors newbie

Ask nicely (not demand) for an exchange :) ...even though you might be outside the eligible return/exchange period. Do your best to box it up in the same fashion it was boxed up when you received it, and make sure it is clean (i.e. looks new). Have your receipt ready as well.

As was mentioned, it has only been about one month since it was purchased and has been happening since day 1. It could have exchanged during the eligible period if an accurate and valid diagnosis/case was made.

Good luck!

5. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

Don't think that is going to happen, I already sent off the UPC for the iwork rebate. Seems like BB is not best about returns, which is kind of disappointing considering how much money I spend there. I think that I am just going to take it in and hope for the best-which I guess means hope they find something wrong with it???

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? If so, try there.

7. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

Nope no apple store...just BB's and the BB guy that was teaching the class said "maybe you are pressing too hard on the trackpad"

That is the kind of knowledge base that I am working with here. Not the cream of the crop. Thought about calling apple, but it is hard to describe over the phone, don't even know if you all know what I mean, but when I say "drag lock" that is a pretty common term amongst "Mac'ers" so I assume you do? But it just drag locks all the time on all parts of the screen, constantly highlighting everything, and if there is nothing to highlight, such as on the main screen it makes the boxes.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You could use Quicktime to take a video screenshot of the problem, then post it to YouTube. Then when you contact Apple you could direct them to the video so they could see what's going on.

9. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

Do you need a quicktime recorder or something similar? I have the quicktime player but not the recorder plugin....well I guess that I have done a recording of my screen before...

10. chrfr macrumors 603

I'll bet you're just having a software issue. The Magic Trackpad update made a mess of the built in trackpads for many users.

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just regular QuickTime Player. Go to File > New Screen Recording.

Attached Files:

12. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

Good to know...next time it acts up I will video capture it. I am new to the Mac scene. Love every minute of it-even with the glitch in my trackpad and I am sure if there was a Mac store and not a BB around here I would have no issues, but still a firm believer in their products and would not trade it for anything-In fact buying Office 11 this weekend! No doubt that this issue will be resolved and I will be up and running in no time.

13. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

Do you think that it could be a software issue as opposed to a trackpad issue?

It just seems peculiar that it happens randomly? I tried searching for similar instances of this happening and all I could come up with was the drag lock scenario....

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes. The update for the magic trackpad has made a horrible mess of the internal trackpad scene for MacBook/MacBook Pro users. I have that issue on both my 13" MBP and my 13" MB (both unibody models). Go into system preferences and turn off all "tap to click" options.

15. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

I read this entire thread and I have no clue what you are talking about since you have not stated what is wrong with your laptop

maybe you are pressing too hard on your trackpad, why dont choose something that is just tap to click and not click with it anymore, if there is still a problem then its your software, if not then you are pressing too hard or something is broken with your trackpad

I have no clue what drag lock is, I dont have it on my i7 15" mbp turned on?

16. ShakyJay thread starter macrumors member

Basically what drag lock is...when you move your mouse around it highlights everything that your mouse goes over...hence the term "drag lock" sort of like pressing down on the trackpad and highlighting something.

Thank you for pointing out that I didn't specify my problem though, but there were enough people there that understood what I was going through and enough helpful suggestions that I feel a lot better about where I stand. And I even learned something new!

17. chrfr macrumors 603

Yeah, this is the bug with the Magic Trackpad update, it is not a hardware issue. You can get around it by reinstalling the operating system and not reinstalling that update. It's not a simple solution but it works and restored my Macbook Pro to full usability.