All iPads It's not the "big" iPhone, it's the NEW iPad nano/iPt6G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by itjw, Jul 30, 2014.

1. itjw macrumors 65816

Everyone assumes the bigger screen in development (other than the 4.7) is a bigger iPhone. While it may still have phone capabilities (like the Note), I think it will be either the iPad "nano" or the NÉW iPt6G.

It could be a phablet. It could just have LTE for data. It would be the best replacement for an overpriced iPt (I own one btw... It is :)).

Everyone assumes it'll be an iPhone, but why not make a new device entirely that will give the CHANCE that some folks will buy both? If it's just a bigger iPhone, few folks will want 2. This way it's plausible to have a desire to own both.

Price point could still be around 400$ and satisfy the iPt, iPm crowds too (if it had the tech).

Just my 2c :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think apple is going to release a smaller iPad, the 5.5" product is a phone imo.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Can not see the demand for a smaller iPad. Now there has been a calling for a larger iPhone for a long time. So I am going to have to go with it being a phone.

4. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Lots of people want a big phone, for some reason.

5. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

This doesn't make sense.

I don't think that Apple will man an iPad nano, or an iPod touch 5.5".

iPad nano - what's the point of a 5.5" screen on an iPad? At that point, it becomes a "phablet" and I doubt it will happen.

iPod touch 5.5" - I doubt apple will make an iPod bigger than its phone. The iPod screen size was increased when the iPhones was, and it was the same size.

I think that those products really cancel each other's purposes out. That's just me.

6. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

My mom is one of those folks that owns and uses both an iPhone 5 and an iPod touch and I just, don't, get it. To me it cancels itself out. Why do you need to use an iPod touch for audiobooks and stuff when you can do the same (literally the same) thing on the iPhone?

I don't understand it. Maybe I'm not supposed to.

7. juanrp, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I own both an iPod touch and an iPhone. I use my iPhone for messaging/calling/some game play. I use my iPod to hold all of the things that don't fit in my phone. I made the mistake of buying an 8 GB and usually 3.77GB+ of the capacity is cache alone. My iPod is 32GB and it holds everything my phone can't.

They help each other out, but other than that, there's no point. Maybe if I would've purchased an iPhone with 16 or even 32GB, there wouldn't be a problem and no need for my iPod touch.

8. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

This is the boat I am in as well. When I got my iPhone, I already had an iPod so I decided to save $100 and go with the 16 GB iPhone figuring that I could easily keep all of my music and stuff on the iPod. The plan didn't work well. My car only supports one bluetooth device at a time so it is either the phone so I get the phone capabilities or the iPod so I can listen to music and use the cars controls to skip forward or backwards. Because I use Spotify, plugging the iPod in, I can listen to Spotify but none of the controls in the car work and the only way to skip forward is by fumbling with the iPod. So, I ended up downloading 1 playlist to my iPhone and the iPod stays at home connected to the stereo.

9. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I had that level of inconvenience when I first got my iPod. I left it in a drawer for a year and a half, because it was a real inconvenience to walk around with separate devices that have different uses. I just recently started using it to save some battery life on my phone. It just so happens that it my iPod died on my like 15 minutes ago

So whatever iPod comes next, I know it won't be useful to me.

10. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Touche'

11. itjw thread starter macrumors 65816

I do completely agree there seems to be no point or market.

There wasn't for a larger, non cellular, no camera iPhone in 2010 either... Just sayin... The iPad was thought to not have a place either.

Could be wrong, but it's something I haven't seen hypothesized either. Everyone is convinced its "another" iPhone, and for 7 years that hasn't been the MO. It's also a way to get BOTH into the hands of some consumers. Very few people have 2 high end phones that they use simultaneously... But MANY people have an iPad and iPhone. Is there a NEED for both? 2010 didn't think so, but here we are... It COULD happen.

It would explain a lot too. The launch window for one: If you're giving a choice and that's the main objective (one or the other), why not launch at the same time? It's not ready? Maybe. Or maybe it's not an iPhone in the traditional sense, just something new.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple is very careful when it comes to its product line. I trust that they know what they are doing.

13. chleuasme macrumors 6502