Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's "select" PSN content, so that means it'll be a choice of some first-party crappy game/theme/avatar, etc like Elefunk.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm betting a free fecking theme. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks Sony.......

30 days PSN ? Ok whilst I have PSN+ (and I think only Ed, has it here it shows on your friends list) already an extra 30 days is **** especially as I already have just renewed/paid for 12+3 free anyway.

I can see all these new users downloading the free May content and then in June bitching like crazy because all the freebies expire if you do not renew your PS+ service.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I've heard a lot of speculation that it does, actually. There's a custom PS3 firmware made possible with the root key that lets you give yourself developer access to PSN and then lets you 'purchase' without any money as many PSN games as you want. It's called Rebug- you can google it and download it yourself, though it won't do you much good with PSN down.

It's not a stretch to think someone just took that firmware one step further.

Honestly, I suspect that Sony put all their security in to the PS3 itself, and then made PSN dependent on assuming that any communications coming from the PS3 were secure. Once the PS3 was cracked, people could connect to PSN and do anything they wanted once they figured out how to.

No no, I didn't mean like that. I fully acknowledge that the break in may well have been via methods that were opened up due to root key access, and that somebody went a step further with a custom firmware.

What I did mean is that the fact that the root key was hacked has nothing to do with the encryption of the credit card details. Whatever encryption/code Sony used on one does not magically give you access to the other, so you can't simply grab the plain text card details just because you have the root key.
And you are assuming too. Feel better?

Assuming what? Sony admitted they had to bring a third party company in to go over the attack, and they've literally just created a new head of security-style post to deal with anything like this in the future. Ergo, Sony didn't have the expertise in house at the time of the attack.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
More bad news for some customers and certainly for Sony.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i0JHHDzdyVdzOwz1G8UOIwiYNXIw?docId=158eb24e8e6543d4815ff189f62c377d

NEW YORK (AP) — Sony Corp. says that hackers may have taken personal information from an additional 24.6 million user accounts after a review of the recent PlayStation Network breach found an earlier intrusion at its online entertainment division.

The data loss comes on top of the 77 million PlayStation accounts it has already said were jeopardized by a malicious intrusion.

The breach occurred April 16 and 17 — before the PlayStation break-in. About 10,700 direct debit records of customers in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain may have been stolen.

A further 12,700 credit or debit card numbers elsewhere outside the U.S. may also have been stolen, it said.

Sony says it shut service to Sony Online Entertainment games such as "DC Universe Online" early Monday morning.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ No not debit card..... Far far worse.

Direct Debit!!!!!

So they have your full bank details, account name, bank address, account number, sort-code. + your identity name, date of birth, address, telephone numbers etc..

Most of which we never change.

This is an epic bamboozlement of fraud and identity theft territory we have entered here. Given with that info a thief can directly attack your bank account with casual ease and entirely at his/her whim.

Cyberfecked has never been more appropriate a word to describe this little admittance from Sony..

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Interesting that the SOE passwords were hashed, whilst PSN was not. Bad news on the bank details though!

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah this is bad stuff. From here on out I'll be using prepaid cards like I do with Microsoft. After the ridiculous time I had getting a credit card off the auto-renew feature of Xbox Live I vowed to never give them another card number. Now I'll be doing the same with Sony.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Interesting that the SOE passwords were hashed, whilst PSN was not. Bad news on the bank details though!

You need to inform yourself before making comments ;) Passwords in PSN were hashed. Also the DB that had the financial data was old, an archive from 07. I would venture to bet a lot of that data is non-existent 4 years later, still a shame they didn't protect it like they did with current financial data.

One other point to clarify is from this weekend’s press conference. While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form. For a description of the difference between encryption and hashing, follow this link.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/02/playstation-network-security-update/

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Sorny needs to get this sorted out. Now.

Seriously, for a few days, whatever, but now it's getting annoying. I have undownloaded games on PSN for my PSP that I wanna play and my Steam copy of Portal can't be registered without PSN being able to connect to it. Grr......

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also the DB that had the financial data was old, an archive from 07. I would venture to bet a lot of that data is non-existent 4 years later

Nope not in regards to direct debit sadly Ed.

Most people stick to the same bank most of their lives, most don't change every year and unlike a credit card or debit card - they don't expire.

Their sort code and bank account number remain constant throughout, and same with your DOB, Address (especially if your a home owner), and Name (unless you marry etc..) will also remain the same.

So the direct debit data is a worry for those affected.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Apparently, the PSN is not coming back online this week as promised. Sony has updated the blog, again.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

"As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects."

:rolleyes:

Watch it take them a whole month!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
:rolleyes:

Watch it take them a whole month!

Okay and? I rather them get this sorted out the right way than to rush and get attack again and have more customers CC/info stolen.
I'm just as frustrated as the next guy..I can't get my Portal 2 coop on but I'm in no rush to be attacked again and have this happen again.
Sony might as well don't give anything for the down time because people will still b*tch and moan even if they gave everyone 10 free games of their picking and a year of free plus service.

1 free year of data protection, free games and a month of plus(adds extra time if you are a plus member already) won't make up for what happened but its a step in the right direction.

Bless

Last edited:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
okay and? I rather them get this sorted out the right way than to rush and get attack again and have more customers cc/info stolen.
I'm just as frustrated as the next guy..i can't get my portal 2 coop on but i'm in no rush to be attacked again and have this happen again.
Sony might as well don't give anything for the down time because people will still b*tch and moan even if they gave everyone 10 free games of their picking and a year of free plus service.

1 free year of data protection, free games and a month of plus(adds extra time if you are a plus member already) won't make up for what happened but its a step in the right direction.

Bless

+1

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Yeah, it's getting a bit long...but I can still play ME2 and basically all my other games, so it's not a huge deal to me. Looking forward to the free goodies though. :)

What really annoys me is that I have repeatedly seen the term "psngate" used for this. Honestly? Really? Are we not yet tired of attaching "gate" to everything that goes wrong? (Antennagate, Nipplegate...) Such a tired old gag... :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bit miffed that we're not getting something decent in return. I mean yeah, I'm probably quite safe with my details (they were old ones from another place I lived). A month of PSN+ does nothing for me because unless I carry on paying - I get squat.

They really need to be crediting accounts. That'd be a great way to stress test new servers and get everyone back on board with Sony.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Bit miffed that we're not getting something decent in return. I mean yeah, I'm probably quite safe with my details (they were old ones from another place I lived). A month of PSN+ does nothing for me because unless I carry on paying - I get squat.

They really need to be crediting accounts. That'd be a great way to stress test new servers and get everyone back on board with Sony.

They're giving out a bunch of free games too, just not confirmed which titles yet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I know it's greedy but PSN+ owners should be rewarded with better 'freebies' than those with free PSN.

Also whilst it's grand that free PSN users are getting a 'month free' PSN+

Us PSN+ owners are not getting a free month, because by merely extending our membership for 30 days it does not take into account the fact that we have actually PAID for the 30 days we lost anyway.

So in actuality we are getting less as 'contributors' than those with free accounts and that actually 'does' piss me off more so than PSN just being down.

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
Us PSN+ owners are not getting a free month, because by merely extending our membership for 30 days it does not take into account the fact that we have actually PAID for the 30 days we lost anyway.

This point hadn't occurred to me, and I agree with your reasoning. 2 months free PSN would be a more fair compensation for PSN+ owners.

I'm of the opinion that Sony really doesn't "owe" anyone anything, but it is a grand gesture for them to offer anything at all. I would much rather see the Hackers put to justice, than for Sony to offer any gifts to it's customers...

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
The way I see it with Sony giving a month of PS+ is basically just advertisement for there own service. Like heres a month of PS+, look at everything you can do! Then they will sucker a bunch into it...

I have also been keeping a close eye on my bank account and nothings been touched. When the information of 10 million may have been stolen there is a very great chance that some out of that 10 million are just suffering from common fraud, but because it happened at the time of the network attack everyone is quick to blame Sony.

Personally I sold everything PS3 and am going back to Xbox. Not just because of the network, I have a few reasons for doing so.

1. I sent it in to have the HDD and Multi AV Out repaired, took a week and they didnt even touch the Multi AV Out.

2. The home screen or whatever is so slow to update, also friends list takes forever and so do messages.

3. What they are giving back for being down nearly a month is a joke, a month of PS+ and a few crap downloads...

4. I miss halo :(

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
I know it's greedy but PSN+ owners should be rewarded with better 'freebies' than those with free PSN.

Also whilst it's grand that free PSN users are getting a 'month free' PSN+

So in actuality we are getting less as 'contributors' than those with free accounts and that actually 'does' piss me off more so than PSN just being down.

I agree with you there. To tell you the truth I own a PS3 and don't subscribe to the PSN+ service. It seems as if they are giving me a free month, they should do more for you guys than just replace the month that you lost. I don't even think I will use the free month as I just like the games better on the 360 and xbox live. I've never really gotten into playing games online on the ps3 and mainly use it as a bluray player

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I agree with you there. To tell you the truth I own a PS3 and don't subscribe to the PSN+ service. It seems as if they are giving me a free month, they should do more for you guys than just replace the month that you lost. I don't even think I will use the free month as I just like the games better on the 360 and xbox live. I've never really gotten into playing games online on the ps3 and mainly use it as a bluray player

You're a little late to the party... ;) They already announced that subscribers are getting two free months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.