Its official. I am addicted.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Germwise, May 10, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

Its official. I am addicted. I installed osx on my netbook just to try it out and now I'm hooked. I keep checking macrumors and the apple site for any updates, any new reviews.

I already have a work laptop, a desktop at home and this netbook to work on projects between both places. I don't need a laptop! But everytime get online I can't help but come over and read up on the newest MB news and discussion.

I've even dreamt about unibody macbooks!

I need help so that I can make it until at least june and maybe until snow leopard. I need a time machine to travel forward in time. Preferably I would like to come back in time after purchasing my macbook so as not to lose several months of my life, but this is not strictly necessary.

In lieu of a time machine there are other ways you can help me with my addition: Post pictures, mods, interesting programs you've discovered for the mac.

I'm a Biochemist. Anyone else here do science? are there good solutions for sequence analysis, paper organization etc?

Does anyone here use a free office suite solution? I use open office but it runs SO SLOW on my x86 mac compared to windows.

how much will a snow leopard upgrade when it comes out?

any information will help my addiction!

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I know your feelings, i have been dreaming about macbook's for years before i finally bought one, so i took some pictures!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ssjsolidsnake/MacBookAluminium#

A Snow Leopard upgrade should cost 129$ but it's a maybe! We're unsure yet, but that's usually the mac operating system prices.

As for a free solution of office, well i don't know, i use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac it is really really fast but it isn't free.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You can't sell or buy on here, sorry.

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

The OP is joking :D He's after a "Time Machine" (to travel through time)

5. paolo- macrumors 6502a

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Someone obviously didn't read the post.

7. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize apple made a product called "Time machine"

I'm still very new

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In order to lessen confusion for the other moderators as well, I took the liberty of editing your thread title to match the beginning of your post (so that it doesn't seem 99% likely to be something that violates forum rules :eek: ). Your original title is in the edit comments at the bottom of your post for amusement purposes. :)

Regarding managing journal collections, there are some applications people really like... let me find you the threads and link them in here.

EDIT: Look at this thread for a discussion of Papers and Yep, two applications that have received positive feedback for journal article organizing.

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

+1 for NeoOffice.

It works great. Not exactly like MS Office, but verrry functional.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Bookends from Sonny Software(~$50) - best bibliography and organization of citations as well as actual pdfs. Can grab a bunch of pdfs from pubmed in one fell swoop.

Papers (~$40?) - from Mekentosj. Some people swear by it but I prefer Bookends for organizing papers (I own licenses for both). However, their free apps, 4peaks and EnzymeX kick some serious a%$ for dealing with sequence trace data and restriction enzyme reference, respectively.

Ape plasmid (free) - DNA strider for OSX and more. The only thing that it does not do well is translation. This one is not Mac-specific but is actually a cross-platform app.

ImageJ (free, crossplatform). Useful for dealing with Phosphorimager files. However, it is extremely clumsy for gel quantification, to the point of being barely usable. Still, this is the best (free) program that exists for OS X for this purpose. I used to use old Fuji Image Gauge software, which worked well, but it only works in Classic mode, so it has been retired.

For making figures, drawing etc, nothing beats Intaglio (from Purgatory Design, $89). Working in Illustrator is like using a Humvee to mow your lawn in comparison.

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

LMAO, nope.

I really shouldn't jump to conclusions like that. I just saw the "WTB" and "Time Machine" and thought red flag. lol

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm assuming that you're a student, that your current systems work, and you're having to be frugal with funds.

Continue using your hackbook air until at least WWDC or the back to school special to maximize your purchasing dollars. Check out the education and refurbished sections of the online mac store to save some money as well.

If you are tight on funds (God, I remember snack ramen in hotpot days!) you may have to ask yourself if you really need a mac if your current computers meet your needs. If you're addicted, your hackbook air should suffice as methadone in the meanwhile.

OTOH, if you're looking at having to replace one of your windows machines anyway, or if you think you can sell one or both of them without taking a huge loss, why not?

13. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

OpenOffice now has a native OS X version. It is OpenOffice v3.1.0. X11 is not required. I'm running it on my MacBook and it works great.

Check it out here:
    http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US