It's Official: I hate iphoto

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Envykev, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Envykev macrumors member

Anyone else have this problem? You upload photos get a zillion rolls and when you open up iphoto you can't view the photos. Instead you see a bunch of boxes with exclemation points in them.

Not even the option + apple button fixes the issue and I have no idea how to resolve it.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

are you changing the location that the photos are in. If you switch your images to a folder not set in iPhoto as the "photo" folder, iPhoto will be unable to find them.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

The way iPhoto organizes stuff isn't my favorite either.

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

We should really start a 'We want Picasa for Mac" campain. I really loved Picasa on Windows. I have used it back before Google bought them out and even paid for it before it was free. I think it has the best photo organization of the programs I have tried to date.

- James

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i don't like the way it organizes it in visually or in the actual file folders on the HD

i also dont' like how iPhoto edits pics, because before i switched to mac my family computer had Photoshop CS2 on it so i could just edit it there and SAVE AS. When i first used iPhoto i thought that when you edited a pic you were editing the origional and was like OH CRAP! oopps

6. mania macrumors member

7. 66217 Guest

It takes time to get used to it.

What you must realize is that when you use iPhoto you should never ever again deal with folders in Finder.

I was like you at first, I hated iPhoto, it was just to different to the way of how I managed my photos in Windows, but with time I started liking it more. And now I almost love it, I still have some complaints.

8. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

I don't like iPhoto at all. right now I'm using Lightroom. I hate when applications do the work for me, I want to keep my folders where they are with my pictures the way they are, Picasa is great at this.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I was the same with iTunes, I used to manage all the folders etc... myself.

However, once I let them do it for me, not only did stuff not go missing when I did something absent mindedly, but everything sped up because when it defragged (this was in Windows), it put similar items together on the HDD.

Now I let iPhoto and iTunes manage all the files themselves. It's not that I don't trust myself, it's just that they do all the work for me. I really like iPhoto and iTunes, as music and photos are some of the most important things to me (especially music).

10. iShak macrumors 6502

i am on a small HD and when you've got some 20 Gb worth of photos the last thing you need is 2 backups by oh-so-very careful iphoto ..

I have removed iPhoto completely from my system and am currently using shoebox . its REALLY fast . and does the job for me.

11. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Are you letting iPhoto organize the photos? Or did you do the 'pointing to folders' thing?

BTW I love iPhoto and iTunes. I really have not found a reason why anyone would want to manage the folders themselves. I would love to hear some though.

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There aren't any good reasons. People are just afraid of change and would rather cling to their outdated, inflexible, manually-managed folder structures, because they are crazy. CRAZY.

13. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Are these people complaining the ones recently 'switched' ? I think iPhoto is fantastic and I hate the way windows "organises" photos.

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yes, most often they are.

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The one feature I wish iPhoto had was options to make it able to view rolls sorted by roll title, roll size and roll date.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Send your suggestions to Apple.

Maybe they'll fix it in iLife '07...

17. Envykev thread starter macrumors member

Well some people do not like the way Iphoto organizes things and im one of them...

Not every apple product is great above all others you know.

18. Envykev thread starter macrumors member

Can't I just use the restore disc to set everything back to how it was before?

I know it worked before with another program.

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Um, the restore disk will erase everything on your hard drive and restore it to how it shipped from the factory. I'm pretty sure that's NOT what you want to do.

20. Envykev thread starter macrumors member

Not true. I ran a differen't setting last time I ran into problems with the mail app and it set everything to a defualt setting and fixed everything.

21. Envykev thread starter macrumors member

ok, problem solved. I think i'll just leave it alone from now on and let it do the work. Still bothers me that I can't manage it on my own since thats how I like to do it.