Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
Since it's the biggest store in the USA it's logical to assume that they'd get more iPads than other stores.

FYI I reserved a 64 GB 3G last Tuesday (05/11) afternoon ... got my pickup email yesterday; a wait of THREE days.

And on Wed they had a SLEW of iPad cases ... on Thursday, about 50 Camera Connection Kits.

I wonder why they put their largest SQ FT. store in Boston, as Boston does not have the big of a population like New York or LA.

superlatives

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Anyone know which stores around the Boston area have the 64GB 3G + Wi-fi?

Someone posted several days ago that the North Shore Mall had the 64GB 3G in stock for walkins; but I'd assume they're gonzo!

If my experience is representative of current shipping, I'd go to the Boylston St. Store in Boston and reserve one; mine took three days.

superlatives

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I wonder why they put their largest SQ FT. store in Boston, as Boston does not have the big of a population like New York or LA.

My GUESS is that while Boston isn't as large as NYC or LA, the rental cost per sq. ft. is nowhere near as expensive as NYC or LA!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You guys missed my post last night, I have a reservation for a 16gb 3g in western MA which expires today that I don't need. No one seems to want it though.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008

Best population EVER for Apple -- HUGE student population, just for starters!

I live a block away -- I call it Valhalla!

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I believe they check IDs for reservations.

they didnt check my id when i picked up my reserve. all they do is put a sticker on the box with your last name they hand it to you and you stand in line to check out. my last name wasnt even spelled right on the sticker lol.

exodyne

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Boston was the venue for EMC World this week.
Bringing over 5000 attendees from the IT industry throughout the world to Boston.

No wonder Apple has a hard time meeting the iPad demand in the Boston area.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
NikFinn said:
I believe they check IDs for reservations.

When I reserved they only asked for my email, so they wouldn't ask for I'd in relation to the reservation. Bought 2of them already and that's the way it worked.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
ipadftw.gif

The early bird gets the worm. I win. I'll be in Boston tomorrow if you want to touch it.

BJ

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Wow! Your lucky! Here in California we get charge a mandatory

$8 recycle fee

and I got charged at least $63 of sales tax for my iPad :(

New Hampshire has no income or sales tax, but they make up for it with the property tax which I hear is a real killer. Of course if you don't own but rent you don't pay it... but in a way you do via having it passed on in your rent.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I got the 32 GB WiFi version. I reserved it on Thursday night and it was available for pick-up on Saturday morning.

I feel like I got lucky.

Ah. It's probably because you got the Wifi only model, they're slightly easier to find.

superlatives

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
New Hampshire has no income or sales tax, but they make up for it with the property tax which I hear is a real killer. Of course if you don't own but rent you don't pay it... but in a way you do via having it passed on in your rent.

FYI states sales tax is deductible from your Federal income tax.

gostan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
West of Boston
Colleges....Colleges......Colleges...... & Being within a stone's throw distance of the Hines Convention Center and all of the hotels and visitors to Boston means that all of the out of state tourists are taking a majority of the Ipads out of state with them.

Stan

superlatives

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Colleges....Colleges......Colleges...... & Being within a stone's throw distance of the Hines Convention Center and all of the hotels and visitors to Boston means that all of the out of state tourists are taking a majority of the Ipads out of state with them.

Stan

I doubt tourists and business travelers are walking out with iPads -- at least from the Boylston St. Store.

REASON: their timing has to be perfect.

Given all the posts citing reservation lead times being anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, it'd be a gamble for a visitor to place a reservation. If they place one too early, their unit may be gone if they're not in Boston for the 24 hour period it's held. And if they're too late, they may be gone before their reservation arrives.

exodyne

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I doubt tourists and business travelers are walking out with iPads -- at least from the Boylston St. Store.
REASON: their timing has to be perfect.

I attended a conference in Boston this week.
Made a reservation on Saturday 8th, ready for pickup Tuesday 11th.
Other conference attendees reserved on sunday and monday this week,
and got theirs on Thursday. Both Wifi and 3G versions.

superlatives

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I attended a conference in Boston this week.
Made a reservation on Saturday 8th, ready for pickup Tuesday 11th.
Other conference attendees reserved on sunday and monday this week,
and got theirs on Thursday. Both Wifi and 3G versions.

Thanks for the info!

I guess what that means is this: the reservation wait time at Boylston St. has CONSISTENLY been 3-4 days.

For those of you in the area -- certainly better than the 7-10 business days on the online store, and the unknown reservation wait at other mall stores.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Thanks for the info!

I guess what that means is this: the reservation wait time at Boylston St. has CONSISTENLY been 3-4 days.

For those of you in the area -- certainly better than the 7-10 business days on the online store, and the unknown reservation wait at other mall stores.

I called Boylston street yesterday and placed a second order just because of how low the reported wait times are. They told me that it will probably be about 7-10 days maybe a little longer. I'm hoping for 3-4 days though.

superlatives

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I called Boylston street yesterday and placed a second order just because of how low the reported wait times are. They told me that it will probably be about 7-10 days maybe a little longer. I'm hoping for 3-4 days though.

I should let you know that none of the sales reps would quote a time; but when I asked most said that I SHOULD get it within two weeks. Again it turned out to be three days.

Of course that depends on the model -- contrary to what a few have said here, I'd GUESS the 16GB 3G is the hottest model; at $860 the 64GB 3G is a couple hundred cheaper than a Macbook

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I ordered my iPad online but it says delivered by June 4th. Awful.

If I call in and reserve one in my local store would that be quicker?

How many days will it take to get that money back in my account when I cancel the online one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.