It's on its' way : now I have questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dave-mcf, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Dave-mcf macrumors newbie

So I have bid goodbye to windows and made the jump, I'm not sure exactly what pulled the trigger, it could have been one too many blue screens, it could be that my hp laptop developed a motherboard fault which seems to be from poor manufacturing or maybe I was subliminally influenced by all those "Mac vs Pc" ads...

The reasons don't really matter the worrying thing is that it is coming and six days and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm in for...

Here's the configuration of my newly purchased :apple: iMac:

3.06GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
    2GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GS W/512MB
    1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
    IWORK '08 PREINSTALLED.
    APPLE MIGHTY MOUSE
    WIRED KYBD & USER'S GUIDE-B
    COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 24-GBR

Ok so here's my questions:

1. You may have noticed that I went for every conceivable upgrade bar memory, this is purely because I have heard that apple memory is overpriced. Is installing extra RAM difficult? Where can I find cheap RAM for my iMac on the net?
    2. Before ditching my laptop I backed all my entire iTunes library and all my other files to an external HD, is it just a sample of plugging it in to my iMac or is there file system incompatibilities?
    3. My fiancé is extremely interested in Garageband - she's a great singer and a gifted guitar player. Although I'm not ready to shell out on an audio I/O right away, I'm still pretty broke from buying the iMac, I was wondering if it is possible to use the Moster iStudio link cable to connect an electro-acoustic guitar, then after laying down that connect a microphone with an xlr to 1/4" jack and have her listen in her headphones as she sings in to the mic?
    4. On my PC I used a piece of software called Lencom Visual Web Task to create spiders for collecting address after doing an automatic search on a property website, is there an equivalent way to do this on the Mac?
    5. I have read a lot on this one and can never get a definitive answer - it all just seems to be preference: Parallels or VMware Fusion?
    6. Finally where can I find a list of things which commonly confound new converts to Mac? I have found quite a few already by searching the forums but maybe a few tips from your own experience could help me avoid some pitfalls when it arrives...

Many thanks in advance of your answers.

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

3. Delameko macrumors member

It's really easy. No worries.

They've both got trials so you might as well try both. Personally I prefer Fusion, but it seems to be more a matter of taste. They mostly share the same features.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

RAM: lots of sources, everyone here has their own opinion. Just make sure it is Mac-compatible. Are you looking for UK sources?

Fusion gets higher marks from likes of Macworld because it is more versatile. I use Parallels simply because that's the one I started with.

Your life will be less complicated if you import your PC itunes library into your Mac library, especially if you have multiple libraries.

If your old PC stuff doesn't work directly with your mac, you can use it via Virtualizationware or use bootcamp to do a more direct PC.

David Pogue has written a very nice book on switching to macs. You should be able to find it easily at amazon.

5. Dave-mcf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm interested in hearing some good uk sources for RAM...

Does anybody have any experience with the Monster iStudio cable I mentioned? I'm hoping to purchase it before my iMac arrives.

Checked the ups site today - no updates, just that the billing information has been received...

Thanks again for all your help...

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Crucial is always highly recommended

7. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Congratulations!

Have you considered Virtualbox?

8. Dave-mcf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd heard of this, and I always love to try open-source alternatives... I'll give it a go when my mac arrives.

9. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That IS a great tip - I'm going to check it out myself. Thanks oblomow!

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I know it's in the US, but most people I've seen (even international users) swear by OWC (www.macsales.com) - that's where I bought my extra RAM (Mac Pro) at a very good price, and they have great support during and after the sale.

12. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I recommend http://www.crucial.com/uk/ :) I was very happy with buying from them, the shipping was extremely fast. I also ordered the wrong RAM at first, and I had absolutely no trouble with returning them and getting the money back.

Lisa

13. Crown16 macrumors regular

You may have noticed that I went for every conceivable upgrade bar memory, this is purely because I have heard that apple memory is overpriced. Is installing extra RAM difficult? Where can I find cheap RAM for my iMac on the net?
    1.Apple mem is VERY overpriced. installing is a peace of cake especially on the nieuw imac. intructions can be found on apple.com. you can get mem at this site for example http://www.crucial.com
    Before ditching my laptop I backed all my entire iTunes library and all my other files to an external HD, is it just a sample of plugging it in to my iMac or is there file system incompatibilities?
    2. if there just basic music files you should beable to just drag them into itunes.
    3.not sure about that just google a bit you should find the awnser
    4.not sure again but google should know
    I have read a lot on this one and can never get a definitive answer - it all just seems to be preference: Parallels or VMware Fusion?
    4. you probably cant get a preferance cause there isnt a big diff.. ive had both. now i have vmware which is fine. parralles is fine also. just pick one or use bootcamp. u have to reboot but it works great.
    5.if you post a list of software u had on ur windows that you would like i will try to find a mac version or somthing similar.

BTW great choice on buying a mac.. it might be a bit more money but its morealv ue to