It's over 1,000!...percent!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Sep 7, 2009.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Seems as the slim has bolted out the gate with lighting speed and Japan/UK just loves them some slim.

http://kotaku.com/5353960/the-uk-loves-ps3-slim-too
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/playstation-3-sales-rocket-1000-percent-on-slim-release

The PS3 has sold over 500k worldwide in its first week? :eek: ....damn Sony, you shoulda done this from the beginning.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5105

I'm guessing the "Sony's deh doom" articles are finish....I hope:eek:

Note: Fanboys from each side please keep this on point and less deluded with FUD. I just want to discuss the turn of events for Sony not praise and discredit the other consoles.....PLEASE!:rolleyes:

Bless

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

PS3 that what that box is in the component rack. I think I have spent more time downloading updates for the device than we have actually used it for game playing.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This was needed a long time ago (though probably not possible, what with the Cell enhancements in the Slim). It still needs to be cheaper, I mentioned that there was a price drop to some friends but didn't think £50 was enough of a drop to get them buying. Once its priced equal to the Xbox Elite it will exploder more than 9000%.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not surprised, it seemed to sell well here too in Ireland. Actually even the older PS3's resurged in shops like Harvey Norman's as soon as Sony dropped the price to €299. Why didn't they drop the price of the older model so much sooner? Hopefully this will be the boost they need and can also help bolster the attach rate too. There seem to be plenty of supply of Slim's though in all the stores. Sony have obviously been manufacturing these for a number of months.

Anyone know if they are making a profit on hardware yet?

Oh and I bet Activision claim to be responsible for this success after their veil threat a couple of months back ;)

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I remember see somewhere the Slim is a lose marker for Sony...although I've forgotten where I saw that, but take it for what its worth

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in the week before the ps3 slim launch they sold 1000 units in japan so i hope they did way better than 1000% more consoles sold there

as everybody said: they should have done this months ago
    (me and 2 friends have each bought one .. now after the price drop)
    now they launch with huge supplies which pile up in stores (

IMHO the new PS3 slim for 299 is what the ps3 should have been from the beginning

but if they can keep up in the future is another thing ... let's face it: the game selection (here in PAL country) is still far from ideal and they have to release more AAA games which are aren't from the "sports","driving", "action shooting game for male teenager" categories .. and which are readily available and not 70 euro even after years later

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

:rolleyes:

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If they shoe fits :p

Honestly, my PS3 has been just great. Admittedly, I need to pick up some new games, but its a solid unit thats gotten lots of use for BR and game. Glad its selling well.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

When it breaks through the psychological sub-£200 price barrier I'll be tempted. Really, really, really tempted!* But until then, no beans.

*I want to try Little Big Planet, but spending £250 for just one game is too much.

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

I think all the games consoles are sold at a loss and then the companies make their real profit on the games. The same happens with printers being sold at a loss and profits coming from the branded inks, paper, etc.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not always. The Wii was always sold at a profit, and the Xbox 360 is now finally making money too (shame its costing them as much in repairs though).....

I suspected that the Slim PS3 might finally be making Sony some money hardware wise, but if it isn't - then they really need to concentrate and get that attach rate up and make the money back on software.

500,000 consoles sold is fantastic. 500,000 consoles sold at a loss = a lot of money lost unless you get it back in software and peripherals.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Knew I heard it somewhere

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/25/sony-still-losing-money-of-ps3-slim-hardware/

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ haha just what i was thinking. thread title should have been "It's over 9000… percent!".

15. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Thats what I was going for but I wanted to stay true to the article ;)

With so many PS3 being sold that means more attention from some 3rd party developers instead of treating the PS3 like a step child.

Sony 1st party studios are already top notch and the amount of games incoming looks to be steady. The games available for PSN is quality as is but its always good to have more...yayy Braid/castle crashers:)

Sony is going to clean up the holidays in Japan with FFXIII and Tales is actually doing very well for a port(with extra content)

Its going to be very interesting with the momentum they got this season.

Now only if they reduced the PSPgo price...

Bless

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah €249 is a lot of cash for one. If gamestop don't offer some form of trade up like they did with the DS DSlite DSi - then I will stick with my PSP3000. I want one but not €249 want one....

Besides same week it's out I'm on top of Mt.Etna so I may end up spending too much €€ in Sicily and will be broke when I get back.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really! I'm in the market, but I'm having trouble going for the Go! considering it can't use my memory card(which admittedly is a small 512MB, but the one I'm hoping to get off my brother is a nice 16GB) plus it won't support my UMD games...I just don't know. A nice drop to 199 and a program to get my current PSP games into digital format would go a long way!

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I was really considering buying a Go for a long time, I even had it pre-ordered. I decided it was a waste of money for many reasons...
    -It only comes with a demo in the US
    -You won't be finding sales on games, since you can only buy them from PSN
    -I already have a 2000, and 12 UMDs.
    -I don't feel like buying an mem stick micro, I've got a 4GB mem stick for my PSP.
    -And it's $250... $50 less than a PS3.

Back onto the original topic. 500k in one week! Did they even have that many systems to sell when the PS3 first came out? I remember stores having an extremely low supply :p.

19. Buzz Bumble Guest

All the games sold to play on those 500,000 consoles gives you back the profit and way more. The console companies makes money on every game sold (and peripheral) by doing nothing through the licensing deals ... a little like Apple's AppStore.

The Wii being the cheapest of the three would indicate that the console itself was almost certainly sold at a loss as well.

The reasoning behind it is the old marketing ploy of giving the customer the necessary bit cheaply, and then charge through the nose for the extras needed to actually use it. Sell the console at a $50 loss, then charge $10 extra game game, and after five games you're making money ... a console with no games is worthless to the customer.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You missed my point. Trust me I know how the economics work :)

The wii was never sold at a loss.

The problem with the PS3 is the attach rate. The amount of games sold per unit on average. Sadly this has been relativly low on comparison to the others. So if your not selling a lot of software (especially first party software) then your still not getting that profitability you need.

It was because of this low attach rate that Activision questioned it's viability as a platform (whilst most think this was merely a hollow threat, and more to do with trying to reduce Sonys overzealous licensing fees) It does mean that Sony must try harder to get that Attach rate up and increase their own and other publishers profits.

For whilst the PS3 is a great Blu-ray player, for all those people who primarily utilise the machine as such, it is highly unlikely Sony will make a profit in it's Playstation group (blu-ray media is covered by the entertainment group) and again third party games publishers like Activision are losing another potential target.

So yes it's fantastic Sony have relaunched the PS3 and driven it's hardware sales figures up. It's now vital to get those games sales figures increasing too. :)