its possible to go from Leopard to Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flor, Feb 29, 2008.

1. flor macrumors newbie

Hi,i have a new Mac Book and its my first Mac...i want to install ProTools LE and Digi says that its not compatible yet,so i want to know if its possible to uninstall Leopard and go to Tiger?

Thanks 4 your help!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

No easy and quick way to do this. You can however use Leopards Disk Utility to create a second HFS+ partition and install Tiger and you Tiger App on that and then dualboot when you need it.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The problem is, there's no retail Intel version of Tiger

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Sure there is. It's just not available through 'legal' means.

I didn't say it was an easy solution ^_^

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, it can be done, but it's not relatively easy. In most cases, some Mac models won't actually be able to boot up with an older operating system than what they shipped with because of a lack of proper driver support for your hardware, not to mention you will need to either
    • Try to find someone elses Install Discs, and they would need to be specifically for a MacBook (and even then, there are no guarentees on whether or not this will work due to differences in the models).
    • Boot your Mac into Target Disk Mode, connect a FireWire cable to your Mac and a friends Intel Mac (who has Tiger install discs) and then boot their computer from the first install disc and select your hard drive from the drive choices in the Mac OS X Installer, which should allow you to install a copy of Mac OS X Tiger on your MacBooks hard drive.
    Note, if you do manage to get Mac OS X Tiger installed, it may not work because like I said, there could be an issue with drivers -- this could cause weird things to occur, like incorrect display resolution, slow or choppy graphics, other functionality being limited or non-existent, etc.

7. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I don't see why everyone is saying it's extremely hard to do this. I have both Leopard and Tiger on my aluminum iMac, and Tiger was a snap to install. All I had to do was make a partition in Disk Utility, reboot and pop in my Tiger disc, and install.