It's sadly time to say goodbye...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CYB3RBYTE, Aug 5, 2015.

1. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

At this point and time, I happen to have 3 PowerMacs just lying around my room, so mom has told me at least one has to go. I need help deciding so I am leaving it up to the fine judgement of you people!

The machines are my beloved 867 MHZ Quicksilver (aka the silver surfer), a 1 GHZ MDD, and a 2.0 GHZ Dual Early 2004 G5. The MDD has had little done to it, whereas the Quicksilver has had everything added to it short of a new CPU and SATA card. The G5 is also stock, and it came with 4GB of RAM.

SPECS:

Quicksilver: 867 MHZ, 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB Maxtor HD IDE, Superdrive 1x (lol), USB 2.0 PCI, PCI Wireless
    Geekbench: 387

MDD: 1 GHZ Single, 768 MB RAM, 80GB WD Black HD IDE, Combo Drive, GeForce 4 (not Ti)
    Geekbench: 568

Early 2004 G5: 2.0 GHZ Dual, 4 GB RAM, 160GB Segate HD SATA, SuperDrive 6x, GeForce 5200 Ultra, Apple Airport Extreme W/antenna
    Geekbench: 1820 (wow, okay!)

The nostalgia factor for the Quicksilver is huge for me. I actually found the machine on the side of a road waiting to be collected for garbage pickup, alongside a Sawtooth. Sadly, the sawtooth died in "surgery", because the power supply died and blew several tiny caps in the MB. I put every inch of effort into the Quicksilver to restore it, I even got a 17" studio display and matching pro keyboard and mouse too.

The MDD was bought earlier this year, as I intended to complete it, but for some reason the 1 GHZ doesn't appeal to me, and I also have a gaming PC build to focus on.

The G5 was given to me from a friend's father. He works at his own advertisement agency and used it as a testing machine for older browsers, and after seeing how much care I gave it to bring it back for him initially decided to donate it later to me!

So, MacRumors PPC elders, I leave it up to you. I have to sell at least one, but because of my lack of moral responsibility, I can't chose!

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

If it were me I'd ditch the QS. Although if the MDD is louder I would ditch that :D

Just keep the G5. I traded my Dual Core for 8GB of DDR3 and a NIB 120GB SSD. Too bad the guy wouldn't trade for my 466MHz Digital Audio :rolleyes:

3. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

How much could I even get for it thought? And where is the for sale forum on here?

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

It's under marketplace but it is hidden from users until they have 250+ posts. I paid $30 for a comparable MDD although the issue with where I live is shipping the computer. Shipping a 43lbs MDD is not cheap!

5. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

I would love to trade it for some type of older ThinkPad, darn. I feel you on the shipping, and craigslist people have always been weird for me.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I would keep the G5 as it is the most "usable" out of the bunch. Usable meaning in the context of modern computing. Unless you have a need to run OS 9, then it would obviously be wise to keep a G4 around. What are your needs?

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I would get rid of the MDD. As you said, it doesn't really appeal to you too much. Also, the two other computers you said have some value to you, because you put a lot of work into the QS, and the G5 was given to you because he knew you'd look after it.

I'm looking at this from your nostalgic point of view, and the MDD isn't really of much value to you. In terms of usability, the G5 should definitely be kept, and the MDD is higher specced than the QS. For profit, the G5 will turn up a bit more than the G4s. The MDD will also turn up slightly more than the QS because it's newer and better specced. Finally, based on shipping, the G5 would be extremely expensive to ship, and the two G4s wouldn't be far behind.

8. abundantmussel macrumors member

abundantmussel

Personally I'd keep the G5 and if possible (not sure of RAM type for MDD or number of PCI slots etc) i'd swap the Ram, the HD, the PCI cards from the QS into the MDD.

9. gooser macrumors 6502

some things must be sacrificed when men move to smaller rooms. which will go? the eagle with the broken wing? the rusty dinosaur?

samson shillitoe

the correct answer is not to sell any of them. pick the one you use the least and stick it in a friend's basement until your living situation gets less drastic. most older people have regrets over losing the things they were forced to get rid of when they were younger.

10. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Yeah well the QS uses PC-133 RAM and the MDD uses DDR RAM, so that's not gonna happen. I think I'll sell the MDD, but how I just don't know. I'd like to at least get some money for it!

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm voting for selling the MDD.

Is there a Craigslist near you? If not you could also maybe try eBay, but with local pickup only. Or here for local pickup.

12. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

So unfortunately what ended up happening is I had to give the MDD to a school near my town to use for the kindergarten class. It'll be running whatever off-brand version of kidpix they have.

HOWEVER, I am going to pick up a 15" 1GHZ iMac G4 for only $25. So, I've lost some but gained some!