It's sitting there, taunting me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lacereza, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. lacereza macrumors regular

    May 31, 2008
    This is the tax free weekend in NC. I bought a base level 15" MBP, HP printer, 16GB Touch, Airport Express, and Mighty Mouse from the Apple store (personal shopping appointment = very dirty looks from those lined up in the 98 degree heat outside!) for just under $2500, of which I'll get $300 back in rebates.

    All up, I saved about $140 in tax. Now I'm weighing that up against a return and wait for the renewed one. I know, I know, buyitifyouneedittherearealwaysrevisionsetc, but I feel pretty stupid getting it this close to a changeover, especially since it sounds like this might be a pretty big one. And then, I think, I am starting grad school classes on the 18th of August, I'd really like to be set up properly by then.

    So what do you guys reckon? If you could save that much on sales tax, would you trade that off against the imminent update? I *could* wait it out a week before opening (I'm moving into a new place on Wednesday), or even two, but I should run it for a few days to check for DOA faults, right? And rev A is likely to have a few kinks to fix? Aaargh!
  2. rubberball macrumors newbie

    Jul 14, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I'm doing the same thing you are... I'm getting my MacBook Pro this week.

    It sounds like you got a good deal, and I feel the same about having the initial bumps with a redesign (though more and more I'm thinking the next MBP will just be a bump).

    Enjoy your MBP, be happy you got it. As you know around here that whole "I'll just wait for the next revision or update" is a slippery slope. One thing that I keep in mind is that I'm in school thats my focus, for me I don't want to rush moving into a new laptop in addition to starting classes at the same time...

    Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy it! I wish CO would have a tax free weekend, all we get is that smelly DNC (Democratic National Convention)! :D
  3. Hatchet macrumors regular

    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Keep it. You're clearly excited about it and buyers remorse will haunt you if you always think about the next revision.

    You got a great deal and you'll be happy for years.

    I bought the iPhone (original) on may 26th and I'm glad i did even though the 3G came out. Seems like there are always small faults in new models so it's sometimes better to get the ones that are tried and true.
  4. effer macrumors member

    Nov 13, 2007
    The nVidia chip in your MBP is basically a time bomb. It's all but certain that new MBP's will use the (hopefully) fixed 9xxx chips. And anyone thinking that the MBP's are not getting an overhaul is not looking at historic release cycles. Apple hasn't suddenly gotten less competitive this year, and there's only time for one update between now and year's end.

    Having said all that, the current MBP is a great machine if you ignore the potential GPU issues. I own a couple myself.
  5. dal20402 macrumors 6502

    Apr 24, 2006
    A little sensationalist, don't you think? You say it as though failure is guaranteed. If failure were guaranteed, it would be a major national news story.
  6. RainForRent macrumors 6502


    May 31, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Don't worry about new revisions. Sometimes, more trouble than they are worth. You got a great deal on a great computer. Enjoy it.
  7. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

    May 31, 2008
    Re nVidia, I'll be getting Applecare and then selling it before the three years is up. I back up regularly, and if there are any problems with it I'll get it fixed. It's not as if nVidia's problems are causing HD crashes and data loss, is it?
  8. jroller macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    What do you suppose you will miss out on if you buy now? Is the answer to that question really something important to you?

    If the answer to the second question is No, then you buy now. If not, then wait.

    If you buy this weekend, you've got a great machine with a nice discount and you are ready for school. Nothing wrong with that and you have a machine that will last you for the next 5 years, easy.

    If you don't, there is no guarantee what will be released next.

    That said, I await the new release for my next purchase, BUT I have no reason to buy beforehand.
  9. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

    May 31, 2008
    Well, none of us know, do we? ;)
  10. snberk103 macrumors 603

    Oct 22, 2007
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    Get AppleCare

    If your MBP has the nVidia chip, be sure to get AppleCare, and keep your current set up. You will very much enjoy using the MBP, and it will do everything you want it to do. If the nVidia card does go "poof" in a year or so, .... then you will get the new MBP in any case. Keep current back ups.

    Waiting for the "next great thing" will just drive you batty.... you got a good deal, enjoy it. Spend your time getting ready for school.... or perhaps, spend your time enjoying yourself not getting ready for school. :)
  11. Hatchet macrumors regular

    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    And to think this whole time you could be enjoying it rather than looking at it...
  12. Kardashian macrumors 68020


    Sep 4, 2005
    Does it do what you need?

    Yes = Use it.
    No = return it.

Share This Page