ITs SNOWING in London

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mbpnewbie, Feb 1, 2009.

1. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Well, not quite "the city", but that general area... I haven't seen this much snow since I moved here in 03
    And I know, "pics or it didn't happen". Well, it happened:
    [​IMG]

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Well there you have it. Hell has finally frozen over :D

(I kid, I kid)

3. Domanic macrumors regular

Oi oi! Worthing has been hit too. About time!

4. MacMalv macrumors regular

5. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Bloody feels like it. I went outside for a ciggy and came back looking like a snowman. I honestly didn't think the snow would stick. We shall see in the morning

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, I've been playing with that new BBC weather site and yea, looks like the whole of England is going to be blanketed in snow barring you guys!

Does it not snow much in London? I've only been once and that was in summer so I've no idea how cold it gets down there. It's snowing up in the Peak District now for the kabillionth time this winter.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

It's pretty icy on my balcony up here too. The gritters were out on the roads this morning too!

8. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't snow much down here. It's just really cold most of the time. Snow is like a 2-3 times a year thing... hardly sticks for more than a few hours

9. djellison macrumors 68020

An inch of snow and Gatwick's closed, they're predicting chaos on the M25, and 'severe weather warnings'.

This country is pathetic.

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yep, one inch of snow = panic. I remember my uncle was stuck on the M11 for like 6 hours one year because of a 'freak snowstorm'.

It's stupid really.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I'd assume a lack of snow because London is generally a bit hotter than elsewhere in the country.

You only just noticed? :eek:

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wait...Do you guys get a lot of rain in London, or is it just all dry there?

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be fair, we're often taken by surprise by such adverse weather. I mean, who could predict we might get a light dusting of snow in the winter?

14. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I'm just glad I stocked up on tins of food.

I once got held up 4 hours on the Metrolink system in Manchester because it was windy. I could have actually walked home faster that day. It's no wonder I drive to work now.

15. Keebler macrumors 68030

well, i don't know if it's stupid. i used to think that about other countries, but if vehicles don't have proper all-season or winter tires, then nope..that's not stupid b/c it's very easy for unprepared vehicles to lose control.

hope you folks are enjoying it. snow can be cold, but it sure look purrrtteeyyy coming down :)

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

London has it's own microclimate , it quite often snows all around London but not in it,although not this time obnobviously.

17. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The problem is basically that we don't really have that many days per year where there's serious ice/snow on the roads and so we don't prepare for it. My friend said that in the likes of Germany etc, it's not uncommon for people to change to 'winter' tyres, whereas we drive all year round on the same tyres, which obviously don't work so well on snow, hence the traffic chaos.

18. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

As I mentioned in the OP, I don't actually live in london proper. I live in esher, surrey, which is the red circle:
    [​IMG]

19. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Still snowing quite heavily in Richmond. I don't know exactly how deep it is, but it was coming over the tops of my flip-flops.

21. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

We're getting a few inches here - looks like more than you're getting in Esher at any rate! Although we are reasonably close...

22. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Snow is now a good 3-4inches now... I don't have anywhere to be, but I'm hoping i can have a snowday tomorrow...

23. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

This country makes me laugh when it snows. In Canada they have three-feet of the stuff and they get up, shrug, and go to work. In the UK we have 5cm and the whole country grinds to a halt. On the plus side I wont be able to to commute tomorrow evening. More is the pity.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's quite powdery snow though, just been out for a walk in the stuff and it's all rather slippy (was the same in the afternoon). Was amazing seeing it blowing off roofs though in some amazing patterns. Gonna be hell tomorrow once its iced over!

25. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Just over 3 inches here in Kingston, and still snowing very heavily.

I wonder how South West Trains will cope with this... I suppose I'll know tomorrow morning.