It's....so.....friggin....slow!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghall, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My MacBook Pro has been slowed down a lot lately. I do everything I can to keep it clean and unclogged, repair permissions, run maintenance scripts, the works, but it just runs really slowly. It takes a lot longer to boot than my mom's MacBook which she's had longer! According to every test, my hard drive is fine (and plus, via BootCamp, Windows runs pretty smoothly). It's quite annoying when I have to wait 5 minutes to load up OS X. It also takes a while for programs to load up (longer than usual). What can I do to speed things up?

Just to let you know, everything in Windows is really snappy. There's definitely something wrong here.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time to instill some paranoia ...

Are you sure it isn't your HD crapping out on you, they tend to freeze the system, or make things run real slow before the die. Yet they may test out fine. :p

---

Time to run a check to see what is running in OS X, something could be sucking up the resources. An AIO driver, background app, etc.

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

OS X likes to have 30% free disk space to operate most efficiently. I'd say look there for your problem first.

Good luck.

4. powderblue17 macrumors regular

I think I've read on here before that this is caused by spotlight trying to index the bootcamp partition. Go into the spotlight preferences and turn off indexing on the Windows partition and see if that helps.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

So, okay I have a 160GB drive with around 20GB partitioned for Windows, and I have 37GB left on my Macintosh partition, so that's not good. Every week I transfer my TV shows to an external drive, but that only accounts for 2.5GB. Well, I'll see what else I can get on my external drive.

Also, any other ideas in the meantime are welcome.

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I really do find that with less than 30% free space, my MBP slows down too. So does my iMac.

Hope that at least makes a difference for you.

Cheers.