Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I'm a bit of a flip-flopper when it comes to technology. I fall in and out of love very quickly. I had the 12.9 when it first came out, but found that it was too big for use in certain circumstances so I sold it and went with the 9.7 pro. The 9.7 was great for awhile but quickly started to feel cramped. So I commandeered my husband's 12.9 (when he's not home), but the 12.9 still not the perfect size for all occasions. Yeah...I'm the Goldie Locks of iPad owners.

When the 10.5 was announced, I was sure that it would be the sweet spot for me. It isn't. It's still a bit too cramped. It's just not enough extra space for me to warrant the purchase. It's all the things reviewers say it is. I mean It. Is. Stunning! But if you're happy with your 9.7 or itching for more space, the 10.5 is not likely to rock your world, at least it didn't rock mine.

I've got a first gen 12.9 coming tomorrow from Swappa (I bought it case I didn't love the 10.5) I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll be living the multi-pad lifestyle. 1st gen 12.9 for some things, 1st gen 9.7 for others. I have to give up my dream of one machine to rule them all.

TL;DR: the 10.5 is too close in size to the 9.7 and too far from the 12.9. 1st Gen 9.7 and 1st gen 12.9 for the win. Long live the multi-pad lifestyle.

Also my ideal range for iPads would be 7.9, 10.1, and 12, but I don't work for Apple and know nothing about the ideal aspect ratio for apple design and apps.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I tried out the 10.5 today and did enjoy the extra space but I get where you are coming from. It wasn’t THAT big of a difference. Maybe next year’s model will have a higher PPI to mitigate that. My “objection” is that it feels like a 12.9 in my hand - a bit top heavy even though it’s not.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I'm a bit of a flip-flopper when it comes to technology. I fall in and out of love very quickly. I had the 12.9 when it first came out, but found that it was too big for use in certain circumstances so I sold it and went with the 9.7 pro. The 9.7 was great for awhile but quickly started to feel cramped. So I commandeered my husband's 12.9 (when he's not home), but the 12.9 still not the perfect size for all occasions. Yeah...I'm the Goldie Locks of iPad owners.

When the 10.5 was announced, I was sure that it would be the sweet spot for me. It isn't. It's still a bit too cramped. It's just not enough extra space for me to warrant the purchase. It's all the things reviewers say it is. I mean It. Is. Stunning! But if you're happy with your 9.7 or itching for more space, the 10.5 is not likely to rock your world, at least it didn't rock mine.

I've got a first gen 12.9 coming tomorrow from Swappa (I bought it case I didn't love the 10.5) I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll be living the multi-pad lifestyle. 1st gen 12.9 for some things, 1st gen 9.7 for others. I have to give up my dream of one machine to rule them all.

TL;DR: the 10.5 is too close in size to the 9.7 and too far from the 12.9. 1st Gen 9.7 and 1st gen 12.9 for the win. Long live the multi-pad lifestyle.

Also may ideal range for iPads would be 7.9, 10.1, and 12, but I don't work for Apple and know nothing about the ideal aspect ratio for apple design and apps.
12.9 Master Race

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
You made up your mind on not keeping the 10.5 the minute you purchased the 1st gen 12.9. Much easier to return the 10.5 for full refund than to have to now lose money on a purchase made on swappa. Who are you fooling or trying to convince?

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
You made up your mind on not keeping the 10.5 the minute you purchased the 1st gen 12.9. Much easier to return the 10.5 for full refund than to have to now lose money on a purchase made on swappa. Who are you fooling or trying to convince?

Neither. I got the 12.9 for an exceptional deal so I could easily resell it. I actually intended to sell the 9.7 and keep the 10.5 and 12.9, but thanks for asking.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

devilsnj30

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012

Yea that is a great point. Or she was convinced she would want the 12.9 and the 10.5 together.

That said, one of the big points of this that is being overlooked by most is that this has the USB 3.0 lightning controller. Meaning with the USB 3.0 to lightning accessories, you can transfer photos to the iPad quicker. In addition the USB C to lightning wall charger will increase the charging rate from 12w to 29w. IMO this was almost a deal breaker for keeping the 9.7 over the 12.9 last year but the 12.9 was too big.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I tried out the 10.5 today and did enjoy the extra space but I get where you are coming from. It wasn’t THAT big of a difference. Maybe next year’s model will have a higher PPI to mitigate that.
Yep, really hoping we'll eventually see 326 PPI on the 10.5 so it'll be like a couple of retina iPad minis side by side. :)

Reactions: kazmac

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Neither. I got the 12.9 for an exceptional deal so I could easily resell it. I actually intended to sell the 9.7 and keep the 10.5 and 12.9, but thanks for asking.

Mmmm now you are flip flopping? I’ll quote your post above.

“TL;DR: the 10.5 is too close in size to the 9.7 and too far from the 12.9. 1st Gen 9.7 and 1st gen 12.9 for the win. Long live the multi-pad lifestyle.”

So now you are saying your keeping the 10.5 when just earlier you said 9.7 and 12.9 for the win? Seems to me you have a hard time making up your mind and just seem to switch back and forth with the flow of how your remorse is hour by the hour.

Reactions: HiItsMe and ABC5S

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I definitely see where you're coming from. I just upgraded to a 10.5 from a 9.7 and was concerned that I wouldn't notice enough of a difference. I do notice one difference, and it's a big one in my mind. Even though it's barely larger, the 10.5 Apple Keyboard feels 100x times better than the 9.7 ASK. That difference alone warrants the purchase for me... While I wait for a smaller bezel 12.9" to be released next year :)

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I'm going to get burned for this, but what do you call those people that can't make up their mind? Yeah, the world is made up of about 49.5% them.

Reactions: ABC5S

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

Also my ideal range for iPads would be 7.9, 10.1, and 12, but I don't work for Apple and know nothing about the ideal aspect ratio for apple design and apps.

I always felt like the 9.7 was just a little too small, loved the 12.9 and made it my primary PC for about 9 months before I got my MBP but it often felt unwieldy for some use cases.

It's only been a few hours and I have the 12.9 coming tomorrow but I am pretty surrounded the 10.5 will end up being my primary day to day computing device.

The only part that worries me really is the thinner side bezels will work with iOS 11 and swiping up for the dock, I mostly use the iPad on the couch while lying down and I can see the super small bezels actually being a problem for that.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I definitely see where you're coming from. I just upgraded to a 10.5 from a 9.7 and was concerned that I wouldn't notice enough of a difference. I do notice one difference, and it's a big one in my mind. Even though it's barely larger, the 10.5 Apple Keyboard feels 100x times better than the 9.7 ASK. That difference alone warrants the purchase for me... While I wait for a smaller bezel 12.9" to be released next year :)
Lol, doing the opposite. 2017 12.9 now then hoping the 2018/2019 10.5 update will have 2732*2048/326 PPI. :D

Reactions: kazmac

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
But the refresh rate, HDR, and colors alone outshine the last gen. Sure the 1st gen iPPs were spectacular but these are amazing, the prices were even cheaper than when I originally bought the 1st gen iPad Pro. And it comes with double the storage. Sounds to me like buyers remorse more than anything, why not try the device in store side by side with the old ones to truly compare?... buying it to test it out is lame IMO, and a waste. THAT'S WHY Apple and electronic stores have demos so people don't just test drive then return a perfectly good product... actually never mind I guess if you're swapping it with someone it doesn't really matter, just odd to tell you the truth.

Reactions: HiItsMe

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I couldn't do without the true tone. The original 12.9 pro didn't have trutone did it?

My 9.7 Pro did and it just made it perfect for reading books, the news, etc.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
But the refresh rate, HDR, and colors alone outshine the last gen. Sure the 1st gen iPPs were spectacular but these are amazing, the prices were even cheaper than when I originally bought the 1st gen iPad Pro. And it comes with double the storage. Sounds to me like buyers remorse more than anything, why not try the device in store side by side with the old ones to truly compare?... buying it to test it out is lame IMO, and a waste. THAT'S WHY Apple and electronic stores have demos so people don't just test drive then return a perfectly good product... actually never mind I guess if you're swapping it with someone it doesn't really matter, just odd to tell you the truth.
I kinda wish Apple would offer something similar to the T-Mobile promo a while back. Lend iPads for testing for 1-2 weeks putting a hold on the credit card for the full device price until you return it.

Playing with a demo device for 15-30 minutes while in store just isn't sufficient to gauge real world user experience where ergonomics, etc, would factor in.

Reactions: Jasmynp and Kal-037

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Geez, lots of obnoxious replies in this thread. I'm struggling with the size decision myself. I have a 12.9 first gen and for a lot of things the large screen is fantastic - but it does seem over-sized at times when reading on the Kindle app or lugging it around. Looked at a 10.5 in the store today and it is just too small. I really wish there was something in between like an 11.5 - but there isn't so I'm trying to decide if I want to just stick with what I have or play the trickle down game by getting a new 12.9 and giving the wife the old one.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
OP can I ask what your typical use is that made you feel the 10.5" was still too small?

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro which I use mainly for taking handwritten notes and sketching out ideas. The idea of a smaller iPad Pro is starting to be appealing after almost a year with the larger size, but I'm wondering if even 10.5" will be too small for writing with the Apple Pencil (with my handwriting the 9.7" was definitely too small).

Reactions: RevTEG

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
Unlike some of you, i think quite the opposite. This display/bezel size is awesome. The change to a bigger display, smaller bezel but about same footprint is a big leap forward.

I love this 10.5 inch iPP.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I think the biggest benefit of the 12.9 will be unlocked later this year with iOS 11. The new dock, multi tasking and file system will really get cramped on the smaller iPad, so i'm leaning toward the 12.9 for a more functional home experience. I was playing with them both side-by-side in the Apple Store today and I don't think split view will be all that enjoyable on the 10.5, especially when Apple will be pushing it as an integral part of the usability this autumn.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.