"It's Supposed To Be Perfect."

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nightcap965, Aug 19, 2011.

1. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

The trouble with Forums is that they present a skewed view of the user experience. The slightest glitch generates a torrent of messages, but few log in just to report positive experiences. This message is one of the latter.

The old MacBook I write on is almost five years old. Last week, a family member's even older MacBook lost its hard drive.

A cunning plan occurred to me. If I were to give my sister my old MacBook, I would then justified in getting a new MacBook Air. Her machine failed just in time for the Massachusetts sales tax holiday weekend, and when you add in my educational discount, the $100 "Back To School" gift card, and that nice escrow refund check I just got from the bank, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

So that's what I did.

The MacBook Air is impossibly thin and light, but the screen resolution is exactly the same as my former machine, just a bit smaller. And it's quiet. It's actually silent. It's practically magic.

I was typing away happily when I heard the unfamiliar sound. One of the keys was squeaking. It wasn't a loud noise, it wasn't like something was broken, it was just instead of "tappity-tapppity-tap" I was hearing "tappity-tapppity-squeak". I traced it down to the spacebar. It seemed to happen only when my right thumb hit it a little on the right. I tried to ignore it, but it niggled at me like a tiny stone in my shoe It was ruining my Brand New Computer Experience, damn it.

So I made an appointment with the Apple Genius Bar and brought it in. I expected a quick shot of silicone lubricant or a wiggle of a keycap would fix it. The Genius never even opened the lid

"It's supposed to be perfect," he said. *"I'll get you another."

It's only a little squeak. I'm sure it's nothing.

"Its supposed to be perfect," he repeated, and handed me a new one with an apology.

This is why I’m an Apple Fanboi.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's why I switched. A similar Apple Store experience brought me over FROM the Dark Side (see, I fixed that :D )

3. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Which apple store? That seems pretty rare. Dud you buy it there or elsewhere? I wonder if they woukd ket you uograde to a model with more mem and bigger ssd. Did they require a recept? I bought mine st bestbuy at a great price a week ago. An oct 2010 11 inch for 750. It woukd be great if apple store let me uograde.

4. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

That's pretty awesome. Similar story for me, I received a new mid-2010 MacBook Air shortly after the launch of the 2011 models (I won it on Quibids, those cheap bastards) and when it arrived, the screen was cracked. So I took it in to the store for servicing, and few days afterwards, they called me to inform me that they would just give me a new one AND upgrade me to the 2011 model while they were at it.

I have tons of stories of Apple's great support. They earn our trust, and we repay them with brand loyalty. I think that's a fair deal.

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Too bad they dont have Apple bricks-and-mortar stores across the world. The "Premium Reseller" here - the only game in town - wanted to keep my then 1 month old MBP15 2010 for a few weeks as I was having kernel panics (on a new machine, with KP even prior to bootup). No chance of a "loaner" or replacement.

This was a 2500 USD machine (local price + tax) that I use for work. Resellers, even premium ones, suck.

6. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

In think you need to enable your spell check. :D

7. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

Why would they let you upgrade, and what does that have to do with the OP? If there's nothing wrong with your product then you got exactly what you paid for. It sounds like you want to scam something.

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I can top this story for great Apple service! A friend of mine took his 2009 core-duo macbook pro in for service under Apple care. I can't remember what the issue was, but he went to pick it up and it started crashing regularly after that. He went back to the store to see if they could figure out what went wrong with the repair. Instead, he walked out 30 minutes later with a brand new 2011 quad core Macbook Pro. They swapped out his old beat up machine for a brand new one and it didn't cost him a penny. I was jealous.

10. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

That was a great story. Well written too. ;) I'm curious what happens to all the laptops which are returned. There must be thousands of them. Some have major flaws, and some have minor ones; do they all end up getting repaired for their specific defect? In this case a barely perceptible squeaky space bar? I mean Apple can't be trashing them right?

11. KPOM macrumors G5

They'll start showing up in a month or two as refurbished models on Apple's website. Refurbs are a great way to save 15% if you don't mind not having the pretty box.

12. Razzz macrumors member

>:eek: i love my pretty box. :mad:

:) how many hours did you spend bidding on quebids...?

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

What a cool story! My only reaction is just, WOW. :eek:

That IS why I too am a fanboy. :apple:

14. misterneums macrumors 6502

Nice. I'm glad you had a great experience.

@Appletech22 - Your story is funny to me. I have a friend who works at an Apple Store. He told me all you have to do is raise your voice a little bit and maybe yell at the manager just a tad--but then they'd basically be bending over backwards to please you.

15. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

Haha too many, I got out of lab around 5 that evening and bid all the way until 9ish. It was actually the very first item I tried to win as I blantantly ignored all recommendations to do beginner auctions and whatnot. Quibids is awful though, they immediately disabled my account the day afterwards and demanded verification, probably because I won on my first try -- they're too used to robbing new users I suppose.