It's the new MINI

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Among the ceiling-mounted controls is optionally a switch that controls five different colours of ambient “mood lighting” in the cabin.
Hear that noise??? that's Issigonis spinning in his grave. :rolleyes: :p

It's even bigger now too. :rolleyes:

Rinky dink link

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
meh - all that talk about the cool new interior and no pics.

Back in DC the minis were all over the place. I think there is just one in town here in Indiana :D

D

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Still no decent diesel and still using those stupid black plastic arches. Not really acceptable for a high end (priced) vehicle.

For the price of the S I can get a fully loaded Seat Leon FR TDI.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm crying. But not really. I think I'd rather a turbocharger in my S. Sigh. :(

edit: iMeowbot... your 'tar is that brand of macaroni right?! I love it!!! They also make these terribly yummy "rabbit" crackers in different flavors. Mmm.

fireball jones

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
Performance gains are small – only the new S is quicker than its predecessor to 62mph, and then by just 0.1sec at 7.1sec – but fuel economy is massively improved, at 48.7mpg for the Cooper (up from 40.9) and 40.9mpg for the S (up from 32.8). Increased torque should also provide better flexibility.
Is that per km or something? If I could get 50mpg from a Cooper I'd buy one tomorrow.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
devilot said:
We still don't have any diesel MINIs in the States. :(
You're lucky in a way. The one over here has a pathetic 3 cylinder Toyota unit in it.

I must apologise for my diesel evangelism. In our Seat Ibiza 130pd we get 55mpg on journeys we do at 90 mph (on motorways). Compared to petrol engined cars I've had (Golf GTIs, Corrado VR6s etc ) the Ibiza does this completely effortlessly.

Back to the topic: I think the new mini looks a little bulbous compared to the old one.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
emotion said:
You need one of these (finally a decent diesel engine for the Cooper):
http://motoringfile.com/2005/03/28/next_generation_mini_diesel_revealed/
1.6? Gee that sounds big (how heavy have these cars become again?).
devilot said:
We still don't have any diesel MINIs in the States. :(
The reputation won't die. Locally, diesel soot is still regularly dragged out as an argument against rail and bus transit.
iMeowbot... your 'tar is that brand of macaroni right?! I love it!!! They also make these terribly yummy "rabbit" crackers in different flavors. Mmm.
That's the stuff! Of course they're yummy, there's a bunny on the box! and bunnies don't lie.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
iMeowbot said:
1.6? Gee that sounds big (how heavy have these cars become again?).
the seat ibiza i talk about above is a 1.9. in a similar size to the mini. the weight isn't noticable.

The reputation won't die. Locally, diesel soot is still regularly dragged out as an argument against rail and bus transit.
Modern diesels are much much better on this front. The latest generation have particulate filters as well as being effiecient (better injector technology).

Right, I'll shuddup now :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
emotion said:
the seat ibiza i talk about above is a 1.9. in a similar size to the mini. the weight isn't noticable.
I meant the weight of the whole car :) Taking a look at the numbers, the new Minis really are gargantuan compared to the real ones.
Modern diesels are much much better on this front. The latest generation have particulate filters as well as being effiecient (better injector technology).
Yeah, that's what comes out of the other side of the argument, the NIMBYs won't have any of it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
meh - all that talk about the cool new interior and no pics.
Click on 'Gallery' D, and wonder at the unfeasibly large speedo. :p

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
iMeowbot said:
I meant the weight of the whole car :) Taking a look at the numbers, the new Minis really are gargantuan compared to the real ones.
You mean compared to the original mini (issigonis's mini i mean)? At one point I owned six of these in various states of restoration :)

Yeah, that's what comes out of the other side of the argument, the NIMBYs won't have any of it.
I use a bike to get around (the Seat is my partners) and to a certain extent I prefer to be around *modern* diesels, at least I can see what comes out of a diesel compared to all the junk that you can't see that comes out of a 4 litre petrol :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
devilot said:
I'm crying. But not really. I think I'd rather a turbocharger in my S. Sigh. :(
I think that's the biggest drawback of the new engine, if you have to go the forced induction route then a supercharger's a damn sight better than a turbocharger... can't beat a properly developed normally aspirated one though if you ask me. :D

fireball jones said:
Is that per km or something?
With a suffix like MPG :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iGav said:
I think that's the biggest drawback of the new engine, if you have to go the forced induction route then a supercharger's a damn sight better than a turbocharger...
I dunno, I'd rather a turbocharger. I mean, sure there's some lag or whatnot, but I don't intend to really need the extra oomf typically (if ever) so the turbocharger might keep my fuel mileage more efficient.

And yes, the icky reputation of diesel being dirty hasn't caught on to the fact that newer diesel technology is quite clean-burning.