It's time for a new Macbook Pro, please advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolasvh, Aug 14, 2019 at 2:29 AM.

1. nicolasvh macrumors newbie

nicolasvh

Hello all!

In 2016 mistakes were made, as I (rather, the company I worked for, but still) splashed out quite some dollars on the fancy new late 2016 Macbook Pro model. Some call it the worst MBP Apple has manufactured in years. Honoured to be a part of that. :rolleyes:

Truth be told, it's been a very negative experience. The keyboard keeps acting up, the screen feels rather loose, the laptop shuts down randomly, the battery seems to be draining faster than every other MBP I owned. Performance of the laptop is okay luckily, as I also beefed up the laptop with the 2,9Ghz i7, Radeon Pro 4GB and some extra storage. Yet, I'm not blown away or something.

But I kinda had it with this one and it's time to order a new one as the company policy allows for a new laptop every 3 years. I'm a bit torn though...

Should I wait for the 16 inch MBP that is rumoured to release later this year? Or should I not bet on that and just go with the recently updated 2019 MBP model? I'm quite a sucker for having the shiny new thing and buying a new laptop just before a new model would release gives me shivers, but I guess I should learn from my mistakes and not go for a new (potentially, child disease filled) model..

Any advice is welcome.

PS: I hate the keyboard, so I'd feel bad if the new model would ditch that design but chances seem low as far as I can tell.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not wait until October, the 2016 model is still working isn't it? The keyboard of the 2019 model, is the same butterfly one that you yourself posted that you hated. Granted it should be less prone to failure but still its the butterfly mechanism.

3. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

The current 2019 is simply the 2016 model with newer processors (effectively the same GPU unless you splash out on the Vega options). Similar keyboard, supposedly somewhat improved with new materials and a membrane to stop dust ingress, though also listed on the KB repair programme so definitely has potential to act up on Apple's own admission. I would advise waiting and seeing what they release later in the year unless you're absolutely desperate.

While the 16" will be a first gen product, and it's likely it's own set of issues will show up, I'd like to think the myriad of issues the 2016-19 design threw up from the start means Apple will have put extra effort and thought into the robustness of the new design. Time will tell on that, though.

4. nicolasvh thread starter macrumors newbie

nicolasvh

Thanks for the replies! :) I guess waiting might make most sense. I guess if no announcement is made in October, I can assume there will be no new 2019 model?

5. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

Yes, if there is no new announcement in October, it’s a safe bet that there will be no new 2019 redesign.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

There WILL be another MacBook Pro announced this year.
    Probably Oct/Nov.

It will have the redesigned keyboard (actually, they are "going back" to the pre-2016 "scissors" keyboard).
    I sense this will be a BIG improvement over the current models.

Can you wait that long?

7. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

There's a lot of corroborating rumours from various sources at this point so it's quite likely it will happen, but on the chance it doesn't yeah probably no new design until summer 2020.

8. cinnabun814 macrumors regular

cinnabun814

I must be one of the lucky ones but other than a very rare popping sound my 2016 has performed phenomenally thus far. Plan on keeping it another 4 years.

9. psingh01 macrumors 65816

You might as well wait 2 months to see what the new has. We can hope that the keyboards will be better, but I doubt very much that they will be worse. I have a 2017 model issued from work and I had the keyboard replaced in June. So far it is working ok and no stuck keys. I had more issues with the original keyboard sooner out of the box than this. So I think that whatever the new one has, even if it is a butterfly keyboard, that it will be much improved over earlier versions.

I'm not a fan of the low profile/low travel keys but it is not a deal breaker. Malfunctioning keys are.