It's time for an upgrade, what should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soigne3, May 21, 2015.

1. soigne3, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015

soigne3 macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts! :D

I've been a patient "jedi" for some time now. I bought my first and only Macbook Pro back in 2008. I've been waiting on a update for awhile now and most recently Apple (lightly) updated their Macbook Pro. I've read muliple threads on the MacRumor forums; people either saying wait or just upgrade if you haven't in awhile.

I told myself I would upgrade this year as soon as there was an update. So these are the three options I came up with so far;

1. Get the newest MBP and just enjoy - it's been awhile.

2. Get an older model for around $1300-1800 either on Craigslist or Amazon. Enjoy it for a year or so and if Apple redesigns and does a major update to the MBP, I'll sell my current laptop, swallow my loss and get the newest MBP. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G2KNGT4/?tag=marcoorg-20

3. Upgrade my MBP Ram and Hard-drive on my current old MBP, estimating a total of $500. Here's my MBP Specs: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/050DCFC031D926C3

*** Side notes: I'm a graphic designer. So I use Adobe CS5. Also, if option 3 is suggested, what SSD do you recommend? ***

2. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Depends what you are waiting for when apple does their "major update"

What features do you feel you would miss out on if you splash out on a brand new machine now.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If it's time for an upgrade then upgrade, at 7 years old for your current computer anything apple makes wll be a massive upgrade.

4. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Get a refurbished 2015 MBP for much cheaper than a current machine, and get a major upgrade for you. My iMac 2011 i5 was WAY WAY FASTER than my 2008 MBP. My new to me late 2013 15" 2.6 GHZ rMBP is 5-7 times faster than the iMac.

When I made hour movies with your machine, I used to leave for about 3 hours while it chugged away. Then the iMac made the moviES IN ABOUT 50 MINUTES. Now my late 2013 makes the movies in about 6 minutes.

5. Another Day macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure OP made up his mind like 2 years ago.

6. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Apple won't redesign the MBP for the next 3-4years. You will get minor spec bumps but that's it.

So keeping option 2 for a year doesn't help you.
    Option3: I wouldn't spend $500 on a 2008 laptop. For that money you can get a 2012 MBPr.
    Which leaves us option 1: I would recommend a refurbished 2016 MBP to save 15% from Apple or some resellers give u this discount on new machines.