It's time for Apple to increase the screen size of it's laptops.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tresmith, Oct 20, 2018.

1. tresmith macrumors 6502

Apple's been increasing the screen size of almost every product...iphones, ipads etc. And I think it's time for them to do the same with it's laptops.

Apple should keep the 12 inch size but ditching the 13 and 15 inch screens for bezel-less 14 and 16 inch screens seems like the way to go. Going bezel-less or near bezel-less will allow Apple to put in larger screens without increasing the footprint of the laptops. Much like how the iPhone X with it's larger screen is about the size of the iPhone 8 because they removed the bezels.

Also the iPad screens have gotten so large that they are encroaching in on the laptops. I know that they are two different products but those differences are shrinking with every iPad update. So it really is time for Apple to increase the size of those screens.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

3. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

As much as I would like it to happen, it is very unlikely. I don't think it will fit even reducing the bezels. Just look at the specs compared to what the desired screen would have.

13-inch MacBook Pro
    Width: 11.97 inches
    Height: 8.36 inches (including webcam)

14-inch screen (16:10)
    Width: 11.87 inches
    Height: 7.42 inches

15-inch MacBook Pro
    Width: 13.75 inches
    Height: 9.48 inches (including webcam)

16-inch screen (16:10)
    Width: 13.57 inches
    Height: 8.48 inches

So, I guess that even reducing the bezels there would be no room for them to work. Look at the specs of the Dell XPS 13, which is the model of bezel-less laptops:

Dell XPS 13
    Width: 11.9 inches
    Height: 7.8 inches

13.3-inch screen (16:9)
    Width: 11.59 inches
    Height: 6.52 inches

Look that the width difference between the screen and the laptop in the Dell XPS 13 is 0.31 inch. In a 14-inch MacBook Pro, it would be only 0.10 inch, and in a 16-inch model it would be 0.18 inch. I do not think it would be practical to have it. And that is just the width, not to mention height. I guess Apple would have to increase the size of the laptops, and not only reduce the bezels. And I don't think Apple would even consider that.

The next redesign of the MacBook/MacBook Pro is probably going to happen sometime between 2019 and 2021 (and probably in 2020). I think it is more likely for Apple to drop Intel processors in favor of their own A-based chips than making screens any larger. And yes, it may reduce the bezels, but also reducing the size (and weight) of the laptops.

4. fokmik macrumors 68030

5. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

I just measured my 13 inch mbp and a 10 percent increase in screen size from 13.3 to 14.63 almost fits inside the piece of glass of mbp.

So imagine...when you are looking at the entire piece of glass of the 13in. mbp you are already looking at a 14.6 inch screen (give or take), and at that point the glass only needs to be about a quarter inch taller to accommodate an isight camera.

Now I do agree with you that a 14.6 inch screen won't fit neatly in the same footprint of the 13 inch mbp but it's extremely close.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    And people still complain about that move by Apple. A 16 inch retina with little bezel would give you the best of both worlds...a massive screen without increasing the footprint by much.

6. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Well, I am not really sure if that is how it works. I suppose there should be room for at least a tiny bezel. The bezel would have to be even smaller than the one in the XPS 13, and I am not sure that would be feasible from a tech and production perspective.

If you take a close look, even the iPhone X (and of course the XS, the XS Max, and the XR) have bezels, so it is not possible to be absolutely bezel-free. In addition, supposing that it is possible to increase the screen of the MacBooks like you mentioned, perhaps Apple would have to include a screen with round corners and even a notch to accommodate the webcam.

Yes, they do. People complain about a lot of things that Apple does. The removal of the headphone jack in the iPhone, the current Mac Pro, the redesigned iWork suite, the keyboard of the new MacBooks with nearly no travel space, the removal of Flash support in the iPhone, the notch in the iPhone X, the awkward mouse, the Touch Bar, the lack of touch screens in the Macs, the lock-in practices, and the increase of prices in products. Just to name a few.

In the vast majority of the cases, Apple just does not care, and does not go back in its decisions (like Microsoft did when it re-introduced the Windows Start menu). Apple is stubborn. Get used to it.

7. Septercius macrumors newbie

It's strange that they'll sell low-volume stuff like the Mac Pro and iMac Pro, but not a 17" laptop, despite people crying out for them after all these years.

(By the way, your title has a typo - it should say its, not it's.)

8. leman macrumors G3

The entire 13" MBP is 14.6", so I am not sure how you want to fit a 14.63" display there... that would mean bezel size of literally zero.

That's the funny thing. People are crying for them, but nobody was buying one ;)

9. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

It's as in "it is".
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---

I probably should have been more clear. I understand that a screen of any sort can't be totally bezel-less and at least current technology doesn't permit it yet. And I also know that putting a larger screen won't be exactly the same footprint but like I said before that it would be very close. So close that I think people would have a hard time noticing a major difference.

And I understand that Apple doesn't like to change things for the consumer they make changes that are profitable. And how many features has Apple reluctantly put in their products long after other products have them? Too many to count but that's besides the point. Whether they do it or not it's time for larger screens in their laptops.

10. leman macrumors G3

What features do you mean exactly? Are we talking about HiDPI displays? Or wide gamut? Fast WiFi? What about high-performance connectors, they were quite late to the party with that one. Or maybe fast SSDs? Decent trackpads? Aluminum unibody laptop construction? Or maybe symmetric laptop design? Too many to count...

11. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

"... screen size of it's laptops" is obviously wrong. The first "it's" is ok :)

12. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Yes, pretty much, it was a heavy beast. And it was very expensive, which probably alienated a major part of its small audience.

It is hard to see a 17-inch laptop for sale these days. The largest ones tend to be 15-inch.

13. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Yes, Apple would have to make the laptops a little larger. Like it did with the 12-inch MacBook compared to the 11-inch MacBook Air.

But I suspect Apple will not do it. Apple does not make the changes because they are profitable. It makes the changes towards some sort of minimalist and purist direction. And they make lots of money out of it (which they would make anyway, so that is not the point).

I would like to see larger screens in all laptops. However, the market is going in the opposite direction. Smaller laptops became more popular than ever. And that is part because of Apple.

I do not think Apple will put larger screens in laptops, especially if it has to make them larger (and heavier).

I got used to the 15.4-inch screen of the MacBook Pro and the 15.6-inch screen of the Dell XPS 15. I can work with that. But when I got the 13.3-inch MacBook Pro, well, that was kind of cramped.

But at the same time the 13-incher is very convenient. It is light in my backpack and I can put it anywhere. I always carry it with me; I was somewhat reluctant to carry the 15-inchers around.

Then, to make it up for the small size of the screen, I started using an external monitor at home, with a keyboard and a mouse. And it was far better to use than a cramped laptop. I ended up buying a desktop computer in addition to the laptops.

Little by little, I rediscovered the nice things a desktop computer can provide, which I had long left aside due to the dissemination of laptops. A better and larger screen, better keyboard and mouse/trackpad, and way better specs.

And when I am on the road, I use the 13-inch laptop. Cramped but convenient. And now that it is not my main computer, it makes perfect sense to not have a very big screen on the laptop.