Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think Apple is at its best when people are actually excited about its newest products. Who was genuinely excited for iPhone 13, especially if you already had a 12?

We all knew the time would come where innovation and technology slowed down. There is no reason for Apple to release a new iPhone every year anymore.

In fact, it could be better if they would've released iPhone 12 and Pro one year, then Mini and Pro Max in the next. Then the major upgrade would happen every 2 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have waited 2 years after iPhone 11, so that the iPhone 12 would have the major design change plus all the new features of 13.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Not going to happen.

This is always an interesting debate. If you don’t like what Apple is putting out don’t buy it; speak with your wallet.

Reality is, people would complain regardless of that Apple put out. We actually have people complaining because they didn’t offer a matte black option on the new 13 Pro! Think about that...

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
I’m glad there’s a new iPhone this year. My 12 Pro battery is horrible. 85% capacity after a year. Never had an iPhone go so low that quick. Besides, with the iUP it actually is better to just upgrade every year than make the same payments on an old phone for another year

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Never gonna happen. There are enough people who upgrade every 2, 3, 4 years or whatever to warrant a new phone every year. Tech gets better - better screens, CPU's GPU's etc. You want one every 2 years, good for you. Apple has no issue selling all the iphones it can make.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
I think Apple is at its best when people are actually excited about its newest products. Who was genuinely excited for iPhone 13, especially if you already had a 12?

We all knew the time would come where innovation and technology slowed down. There is no reason for Apple to release a new iPhone every year anymore.

In fact, it could be better if they would've released iPhone 12 and Pro one year, then Mini and Pro Max in the next. Then the major upgrade would happen every 2 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have waited 2 years after iPhone 11, so that the iPhone 12 would have the major design change plus all the new features of 13.

Lol what do you do for a living? If you were in charge at Apple and proposed this you’d be laughed out of the room.

Can you imagine how the stock would perform?

Don’t worry about what Apple is doing. Just buy a new phone when you’re ready and enjoy it.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Not only will it never happen due to Apple realizing too much money from annual hardware upgrades, but the literally hundreds of billions USD in revenue that are generated from the annual cycle. Carriers, accessory makers, device insurance providers, etc. It's its own economic ecosystem, that reaches globally.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Most people don't replace their phone every year. People who are currently on a 2019 or earlier phone are likely to appreciate the advancements in the 2021 models, so from that perspective there's no real reason not to introduce a new model.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Right ... while the competition releases new models annually at a minimum? Don't think so. Just step away from the Buy button for a year.

Reactions: slippery-pete

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

You can still wait 2 or 3 years to get a new phone that feels significantly more improved. if you expect major improvement each year be ready for a major disappointment as things are not advancing quickly enough nowadays. smartphones matured enough in the recent years that even skipping 2 generations don't create that huge of a gap as in the early days where improvements from generation to generation were more significant and impactful.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012

Renember a small minority of iPhone users have an iPhone 12

Reactions: Nermal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.