it's time for Pro CAD graphics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 2ms, Aug 31, 2007.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Now that Macs can run Windows and thus, can be used as CAD workstations, I want Macs to become available with NVidia Quadro or ATI FireGL graphics.

All the CAD cards are screamers/optimized for OpenGL and don't give rat's ass about DirectX, just like all software and games for Apple use OpenGL like DirectX. Sounds like a good combination to me. Maybe the big CAD players like PTC, Autodesk, etc might even make Intel Mac versions of their apps.

Apple Pro Desktops are already killer for CAD.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can have an Apple Pro desktop (a Mac Pro) with an NVidia Quadro FX card if you want one. It's an option on the store.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm pretty sure this thread was originally in the laptop section, not sure why it was moved :confused:, and he is saying that MBP's should be offering mobile Quadro/FireGL cards. I'd tend to agree.

4. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

yes this thread should not have been moved from the notebook forum -- FireGL/Quadro cards are already available on Apple Desktops

It is my opinion that Apple notebooks are lusted after so highly that the CAD software makers might possibly be swayed to make OS X versions of their apps if Apple was to offer their notebooks with CAD-level graphics.

Apples now use the same architecture (x86) as PCs. Apple already makes extremely powerful desktop workstations that'd be perfect for even the most serious/large professional CAD/engineering work. The last piece of the puzzle might conceivably be CAD capability in their notebooks.

Engineers are more and more using Quadro/FireGL equipped laptops to do their CAD work. Desktop workstations are no longer necessary for the vast majority of CAD work. If Apple made a CAD-worthy notebook then perhaps there'd finally be enough of a market out their for the CAD makers to port their apps to OS X. It's far easier than ever before now that Apple has gone "Intel".

I don't have high hopes of it actually happening (Apple put Quadro/Fire graphics in notebook), but I think if it did then there'd be 100x greater chance of industry-standard CAD software being made available to Mac users than ever before.

Of course, a port of the apps to OS X wouldn't even strictly be necessary -- I for one run Pro/E (Windows dual boot) on my Apple desktop. I wish I could own an Apple laptop too but can't for this very reason of incapable graphics.