It's time to move on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by froznkhemistry, Jul 3, 2010.

1. froznkhemistry macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

Hey guys, I have a dilemma here.

Well, a bunch of months ago, my left fan died on me, frustratingly, and I purchased an external fan. I game on my MBP, no flaming, please, and with the left fan dead, It would occasionally just crash me to a black screen, I'd have to hit the spacebar a few times, and it would take me back to the log in screen.

Well, the external fan works well, and I've purchased a new left fan for my computer, but I think I really screwed something up while installing it. This wasn't my first time opening my computer ( I've installed a Dual Drive and a new Hard Drive before ), but the first time tinkering with the fan, especially the fragile cable. Well, some of you might know, the left fan's cable connector has two parts to it. One is a shield-like part ( or that's what I call it ) that is supposed to connected to the computer, and not be disconnected. The other part is the left fan's connector. Most fans just come with the connector and not the shield part because the shield part is supposed to be ON your computer. Well, I screwed up and I disconnected that shield part, thinking it was part of the left fan's connector.

I eventually figured out what I did wrong, but I had no way to put the shield part back on, so sadly, I bought a new fan, but nothing has changed. I still have no left fan. I don't think I'll be able to get the shield part back on there. If you guys know how to, then don't read the bottom, and please tell me. :)

So I think it's time to move on and get a new computer entirely. I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2008 Perynn Model and I've had it for almost 3 years now.

I am considering buying a new Macbook Pro, 15" or 17", and I was wondering if there was any way to move my information without having to re-install things and such. As you might have assumed already, I have bootcamp, how do I keep that? If I just simply switch the new hard drive and the old hard drive, will the old hard drive function correctly on the new Macbook Pro?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, you'd be best to get a new computer. The hard drive should work in the new one fine as long as its a Mac and the hard drive is the right size (physically).

3. froznkhemistry thread starter macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

A new 17" Macbook Pro would take a 2.5" SATA Hard Drive, I'm assuming?

4. lz20 macrumors newbie

I don't recommend you switch the hard drive to the new macbook pro.
    Fresh install everything, and try "winclone" to restore your Bootcamp partition.
    I use it all the time, very easy to use. Good luck.

Lu

5. froznkhemistry thread starter macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

Yeah, I've used winclone before, but there's a problem.

I think winclone only works on the same hardware, therefore, you can't use it to move to a new computer. I've tried it before, it gives you an error message when you try to load up Windows.

Also, is there any way I can move my files from my Mac? Maybe Time Machine?

And for the record, I'd rather keep my 500 GB hard drive than the hard drive in the 17"

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Upgrade time :D
    Sell your current one and upgrade :D

7. lz20 macrumors newbie

For real?
    I moved my windows XP from my old MBP2.2 to my new MBP5.5 several times for no problem. You should make sure that the new partition size is the same or bigger than the old one, no matter what the winclone file size is.
    Lu

8. froznkhemistry thread starter macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

Oh, really? Hmm, I wouldn't want to risk it though. I'm still debating over what to do. I'd like to keep my 500 GB Hard Drive on this 15" rather than use the 17" Hard Drive. I could probably use the 17" Hard Drive for backups and such.

9. froznkhemistry thread starter macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

*bump*

So would I be able to move my Mac side ( not the Windows side ) onto the 17" using Time Machine?

I think I might just re-install Boot Camp, all I have on there is games, and I might just upgrade to Windows 7 anyways. :)

10. brianfast macrumors regular

Why don't you take your mac to a certified mac repair shop?

Maybe they can save you thousands of dollars by ordering a 10 dollar part?

I don't think taking your hard drive from one mac to a different mac will work, because the install includes model specific drivers. But I am a new mac owner, so don't take my word for this.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can use a Time Machine backup to restore most of your files, yes. but you could also just do a fresh install and use target disk mode to drag over what you want.

12. froznkhemistry thread starter macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

Haha, I'm sorry, but you are a new mac owner, you wouldn't know. If you aren't under warranty, Apple repair is hugely expensive, even for simple things. And I think it's time for a new computer anyhow.

PlaceofDis: Do you think you could explain a little bit more about Target Disk Mode?