iPad Pro It's...Too Thin and Light

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Just swung by Apple to recycle my old MBP battery and wanted to check out the new Pro as I'm about due to replace my Air 2.

The new Pro is just too thin and light, and I don't say that because it's easier to bend, I don't care much about that. When you pick it up, it just feels so flimsy and cheap and doesn't have that heft of substantiality that the human brain so often associates with quality. I like the design (good riddance chamfered edges, finally), but I want a bit more feel in my hand. I can understand people may like the light weight to prevent fatigue, etc., but it just didn't feel like an $800 product. I for one like that the phones have gotten chunkier since the 6.

May still buy one, but no iPad has felt as good in the hand as my iPad 4 did.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
To each their own. Some people will want heavy and tank-like.

Personally, I'll take fragile-light (not that I find these fragile).

I think this thread will now fill up with lots of ??????

I read here that someone wanted a heavier Pencil. So there you go :D

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I...don’t understand. It’s literally heavier than the Air 2. Were you comparing the feel of the Air 2 with the smart cover to the IPP without one? Because I own both an Air 2 and an 11” IPP and I can definitely feel the weight difference. And with the smart folio on, the IPP is quite noticeably heavier. I find I hold it differently—I tend to rest the IPP on things rather than holding it casually in one hand.

Reactions: Ghost31 and Kate.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
This is a first. Seems like people debate whether it is too heavy or just right.

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
This makes no sense.

iPad Air 2 weighs .96 pounds.
iPad Pro 11 inch weighs 1.03 pounds.

The 11 inch weighs more than the Air 2, and the 12.9 weighs more than the 11 inch.
Due to the new shape, the weight may be more evenly distributed in the 11 inch making it seem lighter. Just a guess....I've never held either.

Reactions: Ghost31

Martek1954

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I also felt my 11 inch was too thin and delicate.....until I received the smart folio cover. This is the one without the keyboard and I love it!! I love how it shows the edges of my iPad and gives it just enough protection without too much bulk. I was hoping to wait for just the cover, but this is just the thing to show off my new toy!

Reactions: iHeartsteve

sananda

macrumors 68020
May 24, 2007
When you pick it up, it just feels so flimsy and cheap and doesn't have that heft of substantiality that the human brain so often associates with quality.
This was exactly my impression on first picking one up yesterday.

But I felt the same thing when changing from the original iPad to iPad Air (the screen felt less like glass and more like plastic) but I got used to iPad Air and it no longer feels cheap to me.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
It’s interesting that someone would equate lightness with cheapness. But I kinda understand it. Reminds me of that scene in Jurassic Park when the kids are stuck in the Jeep with that lawyer dude and the little boy Tim picks up the night vision goggles and says: “COOL! What’s this?” And the lawyer says: "Is it heavy?" And Tim says: "Yeah." So the Lawyer responds: "Then it's expensive, put it back." Ha ha.

But seriously. Technology improves. Components are getting lighter. Picking up these new iPad pros in the store, my first reaction wasn’t “Damn these things feel so light & cheap!” It was “Damn, these things feel so light and cool!” I can’t see how being light is a bad thing for a portable device. Ecspecially a device with this much power and capability.

Reactions: emachine87

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The new Pro is just too thin and light, and I don't say that because it's easier to bend, I don't care much about that.
I found all the pros too light for sketching...and too "slidey". But covers readily adds heft
and workability. The ipad 2018 is an engineering marvel!

Reactions: faythebest

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Glass is really thin. Just try pushing down a bit with the 10.5 pro and 11 pro - side by side. This seems a bit fragile.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I don't know how to measure it. But if you press both down with your finger firmly... you will see that the LCD in the 2018 distorts in a way that the 2017 (10.5) does not. Not claiming it as science - but it is my honest impression.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I know we’re all different and we all want different things. But I for one am glad they shaved the size and weight of the 12.9”, I’ve loved the size over the past couple of years but the new one just suits my particular needs better.

Though having used it for a good few days now, I don’t think I’d refer to it as flimsy and cheap. But to each their own.

Reactions: George Dawes