ITT: Best ways to check rMBP for issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Jul 22, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

So I was wondering if there are tips to help look out for the issues that people are facing? I'm currently awaiting my replacement rMBP

Chips/scratches/blemishes: Obviously you have to look for it yourself but maybe people who have had the issues can post pictures of what to look for?

White spots (pressure marks): This is one I've had trouble trying to find out so please if you have a way of checking please post!

Dead Pixel: I've heard to use this... http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

But if you have other methods feel free to post!

Yellow tint: I have have no real method other than to post a white screen and judge yourself or place it next to a previous model or something that you consider a good judgement of white.

Backlight bleeding: I use this I'm not sure how accurate it will be for people
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexJRnud32U

Speaker popping: Not sure, I've heard about flipping device upside down? Other than that from what I saw you'll just hear it.

Creaking sound: Again from what I've heard it'll just happen thru regular use via placing it on your lap and typing and such HOWEVER, I would highly recommend checking to see if the bottom portion of your machine is put on perfectly! I've read for people who have this issue that their bottom wasn't placed on perfectly to the point that you could push it into place (but it wouldn't stay in place).

Lastly we have the infamous... GHOSTING/SCREEN RETENTION!: For me personally I set it on a website with a bunch of boxes (the verge) and I set it full screen on the dark grey desktop background and wait it out for 20-30min

2. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Friendly bump, I think this could be useful for a lot of people to read and place inputs!

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much. My screen is flawless XD

I noticed there were a couple white pixels in the very corners of my screen so i was worried. Turns out it's just some quirky UI thingy OSX has because in W7 those pixels are just fine o.0

4. Rohebot macrumors newbie

you can also scan over it with a microscope or maybe take photos with a 25mp DSLR camera with a zoom lens and then zoom in 200%.

5. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Saw a guy on YouTube who had a noisy key on his keyboard. All the other keys were quiet when pressed.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's been my experience that the second year after a major revamp gets you a much better, well debugged & improved model.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Whilst you're busy doing all of this, I would also check out help groups for OCD. ;)

8. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

9. nickbarbs macrumors regular

lol this is like the ultimate obsessives thread. One stop shop for all your obsession needs.

on a serious note yo'uve got 2 weeks to decide if there's any show stoppers for you after you get your unit, not matter how big/small the issue is on a subjective basis so go for it!

10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

LOL. I definitely haven't got it. I know, because I've checked dozens of times...

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Hahaha. I have OCD about checking whether I've locked the door. It's a terrible disease.

12. zerotiu, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

zerotiu macrumors regular

I'm typing using my rMBP now and I'm glad I don't have of those issue. LG display btw.

13. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I agree. I've been burned before by being a 1st Gen Owner - the 1st Gen MBP comes to mind. I suspect that Gen 2 of the MBPr will be a much better machine.

-P

14. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

thx for the guide...

bump! (+ tagging myself) =)