Itty bitty hairline crack...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolecat, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I got the white one...and was very pleased with it.

I noticed that when I went to put headphones into the jack that there is the tiniest/most itsy-bitsy hairline crack between the headphone jack and the crome bezel. Almost unnoticeable.

Should I consider a replacement?
    also, would they give me a new protective shield, since I have one on there already?...if they were to replace it.

I almost did a double take, because it just looks like a little piece of lint got stuck there, but swiping it away didn't work. :(

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

If nothing else is wrong, I'd keep it. There are too many other defects you could get in a replacement.

Or you could be like some people here and go through 59 phones at the Genius Bar until you find the magic perfect phone, and smile at all the people in line to get a replacement phone as they're turned away because there's none left. :)

3. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

That's what I thought I would get...

I suppose my next question would be:
    If I don't take it in...and after the 30 days, the crack spreads or more form.
    Would they then replace it?

I don't want to be stuck with a hairline crack jungle a few weeks from now. :(

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

It's under warranty for a year. After the 30 days, they would still replace it, but it might be with a refurb.

5. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Apple's refurbs are often as good as if not better than, and indistinguishable from, new,

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Remember also refurbs are more likely to have gone through a much more strict quality control than the thousands that get produced every day in the factories in China.