iTune question for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by supermax217, Oct 20, 2008.

1. supermax217 macrumors newbie

I'm new user to MAC..used window all my life till now Anyways my question is...

When I load songs into itune playlist in MAC..it says copying so does that means iTune copy my mp3 into AAC and made new file? Because If i have 4MB mp3 song and after loading into iTunes playlist it makes anoter 4MB AAC file and stores it somewhere else? So does that maens it will take total 8MB space for that one song.

I used Windows media player in XP, didnt like using Itune but now I want to use iTune in MAC so dont know about that..Please help.

Thanks,
    SuperMAX217

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

By default it does make a copy of the file into a folder in the Music folder under your user on the HD. You can disable this by de-selecting "Copy music to iTunes library" inside of the preferences for iTunes. Doing this will allow iTunes to reference the music wherever it is on your HD.

3. supermax217 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds good. So I will disable that option since I dont want to make 2nd copy it iwll just take extra space on my harddrive.

Is there any plugin I can download to add "WMA" files to iTune instaed of converting to MP3?

Thanks