itune troubles...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tws, May 29, 2008.

1. tws macrumors newbie

sorry i'm a mac newbie.

i'm trying to burn and audio cd - from mp3 public domain book.

read the basic stuff to do on macinstruct as well as an online screed entitled
    how-to-properly-import-audiobooks-into-itunes

i'm still stuck... i converted all my mp3 files to AAC files and tried to move them to a new play list... the files all moved as advertised however when i delete the ones left in the itunes music folder all the files went into the trash!? including the ones in the new playlist! what's that all about?

does this mean that i have to have the files in both places? what rubbish.

anyway now i'm trying to figure out how to burn an audio file CD:confused: in hopes that it will play on my non MP3 playing radio/cd player in my truck.

any help would be appreciated.

a comprehensive link that details how to do this would be welcomed...

thanks,

tws

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Converting a lossy format (MP3) to another lossy format (AAC) compounds the sound quality and artifact problem and is a BIG no, no. You should rip your CD's all over to ACC.

3. tws thread starter macrumors newbie

julien,

thanks... i'll remember that...

however i got all the book mp3 audio files online from librivox... they offer mp3 and ogg files... whatever those are?

i then dragged and dropped those files from vol one into itunes music folder and right clicked on each file and converted it to an AAC file as instructed by another tutorial i found online...

once converted i dumped all the files in to a playlist

so now i'm attempting to burn a playlist to disc

regretfully, the AAC files take up more room than the mp3 files did... my macbookpro reports that i will need more than one disc to burn this playlist...

i hope it works...

4. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I think you might not be understanding the GUI of itunes. The library represents ALL playlists combined. Playlists are just one groups of of the library. both reference to one file (the itunes music folder in this case). When you delete the file in the folder all liked songs in itunes would be broken.
    When burning CD's The Data size (MB,GB) are irrelevant. Only the length of the song. unless you are making a data disc.

5. MichaelAlderete macrumors newbie

Help for importing audiobooks

You might find some of the articles and FAQs at my site useful for importing your audiobooks correctly. The MP3 CD article provides a process that is pretty useful for the MP3 files downloaded from LibraVox, too. (Just drag the downloaded files directly into iTunes, instead of copying the playlist.m3u file.)

Aldo on Audiobooks

How to Import Audio CD audiobooks into iTunes

How to Import MP3 audiobooks into iTunes

Since you're on a Mac like me, you might want to look into Audiobook Builder, which automates pretty much everything from those articles.

Finally, WRT converting from one lossless format (MP3) to another (AAC), it's only an issue if you're converting to similar bit- and sample-rates. I believe the MP3 files from LibraVox are at a pretty high bit rate, so if you convert to a lower bit rate AAC (as I generally recommend), you're already throwing a lot of information away (by dropping the bit and/or sample rates), so the lossy-to-lossy conversion doesn't matter. With a spoken word performance, you won't hear a difference unless you've got truly spectacular ears. (I wouldn't do the lossy-to-lossy with music, though.)