iTunes 10.0.1 vs 10.6.1 - which is less buggy?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ToTo Man, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I've just bought a refurb 2010 Mac Mini. It shipped with iTunes 10.0.1 pre-installed. I wanted to update it to 10.5 but can't find it on any legal download site.

I tried copying iTunes 10.4 from the Applications folder of my 2011 MacBook Air over to the Mini, but when I try to launch it on the Mini I get the error message ""This copy of iTunes is corrupted or not installed properly. Please re-install."

I've read so many bad reviews about iTunes 10.6 that I'm reluctant to update to this version due to all the reported bugs it has.

I would appreciate advice on whether you think I should upgrade to 10.6 or stick to 10.0.1?

I am pretty much just going to use iTunes on the Mini for playing back my music library. I won't be syncing iPods or iPads, using Ping, Genius, Match, or any other modern gadgetry, so I'm thinking that as long as it's not prone to crashing, 10.0.1 should fulfil my needs?

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

What kind of crashes? Or bugs? I've been using iTunes 10.6 without problem since the day I could download the update. I've been using it for continuous music, movies, buying music, some light radio, ipad and ipod syncing(at the same time even). NO crashes, no bugs. nothing.

3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

If I were you, I'd go ahead and update. 10.6 is a little more stable (to be honest, I haven't really noticed a difference, but I'm sure there are lots of bug fixes) And if you ever do end up getting an iPod/ iPhone/ iPad, you will need 10.5 or 10.6. The latest version is available in software update. Go to the :apple: menu, and click "Software Update..." this will give you a list of updates. (It's best to install them all), but iTunes 10.6.1 should be in that list. If not, here is the official Apple download page.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Also, what version of Mac OS X are you running?

I haven't heard any Bad review of iTunes 10.6...

4. ToTo Man, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

The Mini was shipped with OS 10.6.4, which I've just updated to 10.6.8 through Software Update (plus I've updated everything else to their latest versions).

I was just iTunes I was hesitant to update as there appear to be quite a few users regretting the decision and wishing they could downgrade back to 10.5.

But I'm probably worrying about nothing!.....

5. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yea, there really is no need to worry about iTunes at all! Just go ahead and update it! I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it. I'm not really sure what you are referring to.

6. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Please see this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345323

This is one of the issues that concerns me because I have my audio files stored on a network drive, so I'm not sure whether the problem ManicHarmonic is experiencing would affect me too.

7. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

OK, I see. I'm not sure about this issue, because I've never needed to move songs from a server. If you really want a version between 10.0 and 10.6, go ahead and download it here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1103

scroll down till you see "Mac"

I couldn't find 10.5, but 10.3 was available

8. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for taking the time to find this for me :)

9. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Sure! I have no idea why 10.5 isn't available...