iTunes 10.1 Beta for Windows

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LastLine, Nov 2, 2010.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Anyone know if this is out there? I've seen a number of references to it but when I go into the Dev Centre on my Windows PC I still only get the Mac version offered. Am I on a wild goose chase or can someone offer a bit of help?

I develop on my old Macbook but my iPad's linked to my Windows machine, therefore if I update to 4.2 at the minute I'll need to do a full restore - undesirable.

2. shandyman Suspended

i've seen a beta2 for 10.1, but not sure if that's the latest, that's all i can find for windows via non dev methods :(

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't even find that :confused: Anyone got a link? lol

4. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Google gumballtech they have everything you need.

5. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

A fair answer for sure - but have Apple actually released a 10.1 for Windows or is this someone's engineering of it? Just being Spyware Aware ;)

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I will confirm that this is a beta release from apple for windows. It's a bit buggy installing apps on the iPad and iTunes crashed 3 times but I did eventually get it working

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Do we have a link? Yes. U need iTunes 10.1 beta to even run iPad with 4.2 GM.
    Can we post it? No, it is against forum rules.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not exactly true. I just updated an iPad to 4.2 GM without the iTunes beta, and everything is running fine except for the iPod and Video apps -- those two are dead. And you can't sync anything to or from the iPad. But this iPad is very infrequently synced to begin with, as it's being used mostly for Safari and email. So it'll be fine until the general release of iTunes 10.1.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They did, and posted it to the iOS dev portal alongside one of the earlier betas (can't remember if it was 2 or 3), but it's no longer listed

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

They were both listed together.

11. funy macrumors member

apparently the windows version was removed as 4.2 gm went live, not sure why?

its not too hard to find if you know where to look, but as always its at your own risk

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Why would Apple produce a beta of Windows iTunes before 4.2 is out when you need a Mac to develop iOS apps? :confused:

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It was provided so that developers could test the AirPrint functionality to printers shared by iTunes on Windows.

14. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Aha - makes sense. Cheers. :cool:

15. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

iTunes beta is super buggy.
    I wiped my iPad clean.
    Is there a way to restore only certain documents like my GoodReader stuff?

As soon as I try to synch my old apps,when I scroll down a few times, it locks up.

16. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. I eventually gave up and just added the few apps that were missing from downloading them from app store. Pretty annoying though for sure, but hey, that's the price you pay to test and using things early before they are out. What I don't understand, is how apple can make such great OS's but iTunes is still such a bloated mess of an application. What's with that?

17. THiPad macrumors member

Yes, it totally messed up iTunes on my XP computer, and would not open up anymore and kept creating dump log files.

So, I had to installed it on my Vista computer. Even though iTunes comes up, when I am scrolling down the APPS list to select the ones I want to sync to my iPad, it freezes up. Very annoying!! :(

However, downloading music, photos, games, and videos from iTunes is ok, no problems.

18. Ksane macrumors regular

What I did to get my apps to sync was go into the iTunes folder where my .ipa files are and double click (I'm on a PC) on each app .ipa that I wanted synced. It'd show the iTunes window with each double click and when I was done I just hit the sync button. It worked fine. Something is messed up in iTunes 10.1 beta when you're scrolling through your apps you want synced.
    But the workaround I described worked for me.

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, same for me. Trying to select my apps to sync, scroll down some, locks up. Every freaking time. Grrrr :(
    But you're right, its a beta for this exact reason. Hard to complain about and I knew the risks when I installed it.

20. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Awesome, thanks.

It didn't work for me but it led me in the right direction.
    With my iPad connected, I just dragged the apps from the apps section in my library down to the iPad and it synched them one by one.

Odd error, that is an alpha error, not a beta. How did that not get noticed before releasing it?

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'll give that a shot when I get home, dragging the apps down to my iPhone. If that doesn't work, then its back to 4.1 and 10.0 iTunes for me until its released.