Itunes 10.1 Locking up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rsnaider, Nov 29, 2010.

1. rsnaider macrumors member

Ever since I upgraded my 3 phones to 4.2.1, itunes 10.1 on 2 different machines locks up when the phone is connected prior to opening iTunes. If the phone is not connected, iTunes opens and works fine. About half the time I can connect the phone once iTunes is running and the application will lock up again.

When iTunes appears to be frozen, I can unplug the phone and iTunes will immediatly start up and work.

This is happening on both my Windows Machines (Vista and 7) and all 3 phones that are 3G, 3GS and 4, all will exhibit the same behavior.

I have reset all warnings on both machines and even told iTunes to no longer send diagnostic information.

Anyone seeing this as Google has not been much help and I am wondering if there is a fix or setting I missed short of waiting for iTunes 10.2 or iOS 4.2.2.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. JulianL macrumors 65816

I've had consistent issues with iTunes locking up when my phone was plugged in and the thing that fixed it for me was power. My iPhone was trying to charge off the USB connection and due to my powered hub blowing its power supply the iPhone wasn't getting quite enough power and I think it was glitching the USB comms back to iTunes and confusing it. Once I plugged external DC power into my charging cable rather than letting it try to draw it via the USB connection everything has been solid ever since.

I don't know how you power your iPhone when it's plugged in but this is what I used, with the second USB port plugged into a standard iPhone USB wall charger (http://www.lindy.co.uk/1m-usb-2-dual-power-cable-2-x-type-a-50cm-apart-to-mini-b/31782.html - appologies for the UK link). I also needed an adaptor for the mini-B because my charging cradle took a micro B.

If you can't conveniently supply a separate DC power source for the charging current, or if you want to try something quickly, then if you are charging through a hub or on a longish cable then you might try plugging the iPhone directly into a USB port on your PC on as short a cable as you have (to minimise voltage drop) and see if that makes things any better.

I suspect that Apple's USB driver is pretty fragile on Windows.

- Julian

3. rsnaider thread starter macrumors member

Both machines are using the USB cable supplied with Apple devices without any hubs.

Both have been working fine prior to iOS update even with 10.1, but thank you for the suggestion. I do have an extra powered UBS hub I can try to use to see if that might be part of the issue.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Mine used to do it all the time too. I think the problem is due to corrupt iTunes library. Try manually managing contents, by disabling syncing of each content type (e.g., music, video, books) until the problem disappears. Then it's the matter of narrowing down which content is causing the problem.

For me, it was one of the iBooks.

5. freshfitz macrumors newbie

Me too

i can not get itunes 10.1 to work get the spinning color wheel no matter what I do I downgraded back to 9 upgraded back to 10 deleted the itunes database rebuilt it. just get the color spinning wheel it did rebuild the database but soon as I closed it and re-opened it just locks up all my songs are on a network mybook