iTunes 10.2.2/MBP 2011/15" 100% CPU at IDLE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tosehee, May 8, 2011.

1. tosehee macrumors member

Hello.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

I've been searching for an hour or so, but can't figure any posts that is relevant to this issue.

I am using latest 2011 MBP 15" with 2.3ghz/8gb/250GB SSD.

When I am not running the iTunes, everything seems to be fine (except some stability, but I am hoping the new EFI and MBP update would fix this).

But, whenever I just run the iTunes, it consumes the CPU at 100%, causing the temperature to go up to 80c, and the fan to speed up to 5000.

Again, this is idle itunes here. I am not listening or anything. Just letting it alone cause this to happen.

I have tried to uninstall the iTunes completely, and re-install. Nothing.

I have tried to re-install the latest MBP update. Nothing.

I am at the loss here, and I have no clue what other things I can do.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. tosehee, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

tosehee thread starter macrumors member

Removing all musics from iTunes doesn't help either.. Just tried with no luck.

Enabling/Disabling Index doesn't help either.

3. mape2k macrumors regular

Since when do you have your Macbook Pro? Did this issue appear all the sudden or from the start? Did you have a fresh install of the OS or did you migrate from a previous laptop?
    Try disabling internet connection and re-run itunes again. Does it still use 100%?

4. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Exactly the same thing happening here - I have actually created a post on this exact issue before and had no responses. I have found the issue only occurs in coverflow view - when switching to list view this eradicates the problem, I also have a fairly large library of around 112000 tracks. Does this issue occur in coverflow view for you and how large is the library in question?

If anybody else has a solution I'd love to hear it.

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like iTunes is generating something. Try leaving it for a couple of hours. Just poking at something that is odd here, don't have any personal experience.

6. tosehee thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

To answer your questions..

a. Is it a migrated system or new? I tried on both migrated, and I just re-installed from scratch, same issue.
    b. Did this happen all of sudden? I never used itunes until now. I work pretty heavily and I didn't get to use the itunes until just recently. So, to answer your question, it could have been, or it could have been with the itunes updates.
    c. Cover flow: I removed all the musics, and same issue. So I doubt it's cover flow. I also just list them all in list view, and same issue

Is there any other question that I am missing?

7. tosehee thread starter macrumors member

I have left it over night with 0 musics, 0 videos, 0 ring tones, 0 pictures, and same issue prevails...

8. tosehee thread starter macrumors member

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

When you removed iTunes are you sure you removed everything? Also do you have any plug-ins for it installed? Did you check activity monitor and see if it was iTunes the app or iTunes helper.

Also iTunes may be trying to find a file/folder that has gone missing or an iDevice backup has gone corrupt.

Just throwing out random ideas.

11. tosehee thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I am sure I removed everything.
    Yes. I have no other plug-ins installed
    Yes. I checked the activity monitor the iTunes is the only one that's taking 100% of the cpu.

I removed all the iDevice backups and same issue.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

^

What about permission repairs and/or fsck. If still no dice then...

Time to contact Apple support.

13. tosehee thread starter macrumors member

Sadly these didn't help either..

I went to local apple store, and they can't figure it out.

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Mine does something similar, on startup, the CPU shoots to 80-100%, and the program is unresponsive. But I noticed that its sometimes Last.FM scrobbler doing this as it sometimes spikes afterwards, then the program becomes responsive.

Not sure if its a program that could be tied to iTunes.