itunes 10.2.2 update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rowf, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Rowf macrumors regular

Itunes updated through software update yesterday to 10.2.1 and when I opened it up today it offered to download an update to 10.2.2.
    I checked it through software update but that says that my system is up to date and no downloads are available.
    Usually everything comes through software update rather than individual applications so why is it offering to download through itunes?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

iTunes does occasionally check for updates itself. If you were to just cancel out that window, and run software updates, it would show up there. Either way the end result is the same.

3. Rowf thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing, I clicked cancel and went to software update but it didn't show up there, that's what puzzled me.

If I check 'about this mac' it tells me I have itunes 10.2.1 but if I check under installed software in software update it says I have itunes 10.2.2 which is the one that itunes is offering to download.

I am I getting unnecessarily confused here :confused:?

4. bozo_z_clown macrumors newbie

Yep, same here. iTunes thinks it's 10.2.1 but Software Update thinks it's 10.2.2. Mildly irritating because when I start iTunes in the middle of the night to download podcasts it gets stuck on the "you should update to 10.2.2" dialog.

I'm guessing the solution is to download the latest iTunes from the Apple website and install that.

5. jpdemers macrumors newbie

Many versions of iTunes installed

Somewhat related to this thread:
    When I view "Installed Software" under the "Sofware Update" preferences, I see ten versions of iTunes, ranging from 9.0.0 all the way up to 10.2.2
    Does this merely indicate that 9.0.0 has received nine updates, or is there a big pile of defunct software on my drive that could be deleted to free up some storage space? Would uninstalling iTunes completely, and then re-installing 10.2.2, leave me in a better place? :confused: