iTunes 10.2/iOS 4.3 HomeSharing - How?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BeSweeet, Mar 2, 2011.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I have iOS 4.3 beta 3 on my iPhone 4 and iPad 1G. I've just finished updating to iTunes 10.2.

My question is, how would one use the new HomeSharing feature? I've already enabled HomeSharing (from the Advanced menu), but how would I access my content from my iPad or iPhone 4? Is this something that's not available in the betas and just the GM/public release or what? This is a feature that I've always wanted.

Or, does it only work with purchases? Because none of my iTunes content (at all) was purchased from iTunes.

2. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I Don't think it's enabled in the 4.3 beta3. I have the same as you and have been scouring it to see if its working. I would expect in the iPod app's library column, that i could see my shared macs. but it's not there.

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Yeah, that makes sense. I figured it would've shown up in my iPad's "Library" column as well, but it didn't.

Oh well. I can wait another week and a half, or at least until whenever they put out the GM. My guess is that it'll be out either tomorrow or Friday.

4. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So yeah, HomeSharing is a 4.3 GM only thing. Here it is on my iPhone 4 and iPad: http://is.gd/V9DfLY

5. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I've just installed the GM and updated iTunes to tryout the HomeSharing. I think it will be a great new feature that's hasn't been talked about much.

After I updated my iPhone and Ipad and then did a new sync, iTunes deleted all my photos on each device, optimized them all, and then recopied them to the device, all of which took quite a while. Did this happen to anyone else?

6. davidoloan macrumors 6502

I am using homesharing from a computer to apple tv2. It is great.

I have video encoded using the Handbrake apple tv2 setting in my iTunes library.

You cannot transfer these to the iPad in iTunes. Does this mean that using homesharing on 4.3 that these videos won't play on the iPad?