iTunes 10.3.1 - safe?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by globalist, Jun 11, 2011.

1. globalist macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I know it's been out for a while but only today I got iTunes 10.3.1 available when checking via the itunes Check for Updates.

So is it safe for a jailbroken iP4?

Thanks!

2. Blinded macrumors 6502

I have 10.3.1 on my windows machine and my mbp and haven't run into any issues with my jb ip4. Yes, it's safe.

3. psywzrd macrumors 68030

The dev team usually gives the all clear on these things but I haven't seen anything yet from them.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I havent seen anything bad happen on mine. PC btw.

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

fine on my mac. i don't think i've EVER seen an issue with jb'ing and itunes updates...

6. HUGE AL macrumors regular

Ran a search on Google and did not find anything from the Dev Team. Has iTunes 10.3.1 been deemed safe by them?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Exactly. iTunes hasn't ever caused jailbreaking issues..nor has iTunes ever been 'cleared' by dev team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Umm, I remember there once was an issue with a particular JB and iTunes version - around the same time people started asking JB devs if iTunes were safe. You'll find lots of threads here on MR.

But then it sort of died out, i.e. nobody's asking and answering any longer. But it's not like this sort of question is totally unsubstantiated.

I think I even remember somebody from Dev Team "clearing" an iTunes relase, but I may be wrong.

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

A lot of old issues have been cleared as you said. Issues such as updating iTunes or updating your jailbroken iDevice is second nature. It becomes obvious that you should not update iDevice during an iOS software update, and the same goes for iTunes (However, iTunes has not had any impact lately on jailbreaking, so it would be deemed safe to update.)

By the way, the jailbreaking community may have to clear things especially when a new iOS comes out (ex. iOS 2/3/4/soon to be 5). So it may be possible for clearing in the future, but who knows? :)

10. HUGE AL macrumors regular

All I know is I NEVER update any software unless it has been tested and deemed safe. IIRC, in the past 5+ iTunes releases, MuscleNerd has commented about their safety.

11. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

They're going to have to. iTunes releases and iOS releases could be harmful to your current jailbreak... However, if it is a minor release, it would most likely be the same drill as if it were a whole new release....