Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Hi all,

I have, within the past 2 hours, just started to experience a problem with iTunes that I have never encountered before.

I'm running iTunes 10.5 on OS X 10.6.8. Earlier this evening, I had iTunes open in the background (but not playing or doing anything), while I was working on some other apps. While I was working I suddenly received a notification stating that iTunes had unexpectedly quit. I went to try to relaunch it, and the first thing it did was to check my library, after which the app itself launched. However, within the first few seconds of launching it quit again. Having repeated this process numerous times, I have noticed a pattern: it is only at the point where iTunes tries to connect to the music store that the app crashes, and I have managed to reproduce this behaviour about 30 times.

I have tried trashing prefs, but it didn't help. I uninstalled iTunes, re-downloaded and re-installed, but that didn't help either. I tried launching iTunes while hold down the Option key and re-selecting my library, but that didn't help either. I have rebooted my machine 2-3 times to no avail. iTunes just keeps on crashing every time it tries to access the music store (which it does every time on launch).

The last thing I did in iTunes was to download the Stanza app from the app store, and earlier on I also enabled wireless syncing on my iPad running iOS 5. I have both an iPad and an iPhone wirelessly syncing through iTunes.

I don't suppose it makes a difference, but just for the sake of completeness, there are a few apps that I have installed on my system over the past 24 hours. They are:

Calibre
Git
Haskell (along with the Haskell libraries and the GHCI interactive BASH environment)

I've run out of ideas.

If anybody can offer any help I'd be most grateful. If it helps, I can post a copy of one of the crash logs.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
2 days later and I still haven't been able to get iTunes to successfully launch. This is becoming a real nuisance.

If anybody has any ideas I'm all ears.

El Aldio

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
You've got to:
  • disconnect your Mac from the internet
  • launch iTunes
  • turn off Genius (Store>Turn Off Genius)
  • quit iTunes
  • now you can get back online and finally launch iTunes

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
You've got to:
  • disconnect your Mac from the internet
  • launch iTunes
  • turn off Genius (Store>Turn Off Genius)
  • quit iTunes
  • now you can get back online and finally launch iTunes

Thanks so much for this reply. Annoyingly, I decided to bite the bullet and rebuild my library from scratch 24 hrs prior to your post, which I am now regretting due to a bunch of double sync conflicts on my iDevices and the loss of a ton of custom album artwork that I forgot I had downloaded for some of the more obscure albums in my collection.

I have it from numerous sources that the above method works though, so anybody experiencing the same issue should definitely do that before anything else, and spare themselves the ballache that I ended up enduring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.