iTunes 10.5 just killed my PdaNET. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kavika411, Oct 11, 2011.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hi. I have a MacBook Air and an iPhone 4. For six months I've used PdaNET as my primary means of getting Internet to my Air. PdaNET offers three ways to get Internet from your iPhone to your computer. The first is to create a hot-spot out of your iPhone. I find that method to be constantly unreliable to the point it just doesn't work (or perhaps I'm using it wrong). The second method is for you to creat a computer-to-computer hot-spot and the iPhone joins that hot spot. I'm not too savvy and have been unable to get this to work.

Anyway, for the past six months I used the USB option. You take your iPhone's connection cord and just plug it into your computer. You use a tiny little free PdaNET app on your computer and simply select "connect." This method has worked great.

I downloaded iTunes 10.5 an hour ago. It seems to have "severed" that link somehow. I've tried everything I know to try to fix it. Anyone else having a similar problem? Thanks.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

if iTunes isn't running, and you didn't update your iPhone software, how could it kill pdanet?

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Great question. I don't know the answer. I wish I did, very much. I have turned my iPhone and Air on and off several times, I have tried it with iTunes off and with it on, etc. My experience with PdaNet - via USB - is that it is very, very dependable, no matter whether iTunes is open or closed, etc. My point simply being that something - and I don't know what it is - changed with iTunes 10.5 regarding having your iPhone hooked up to your computer, and whatever that change is has "broken" the PdaNet connection. Very frustrating, but hey, I guess that's life in the jailbreak lane...

EDIT: I'm noticing that iTunes 10.5 keeps locking up indefinitely (spinning beach ball) if my iPhone is hooked up. For example, I'm extracting iPhone photos into iPhoto, and it seems my iPhone - via cable connection - no longer plays nice with iTunes.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Clean installation of iTunes.

DFU Restore iOS 5 and re-jailbreak.

5. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you. I have to admit my ignorance. What is a clean installation? How do I do that. Thank you.

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Yes, I just checked PDANet on my MBP, and it is dead as well (iTunes 10.5 installed earlier today, and PDANet was working as recently as last week).

I first noticed something different on my iMac, which runs a continuous traceroute (mtr) to monitor my marginal ISP. After installing iTunes 10.5, Little Snitch all of a sudden started reporting the trace activity to be via the usbmuxd process, which is I believe part of iTunes. It appears usbmuxd is binding to the network in a different way than before 10.5.

7. Sc00tr macrumors regular

IOS 5 on the iphone will not let me use the wifi for PDANet. PDANet reports that the wifi is not turned on, but infact it is. And yea the USB does not work as well. I am just waiting on PDANet to come out with an update.

8. eranwolf macrumors newbie

Same Here

I am using Windows 7 32-bit and PdaNet was working fine as recently as yesterday and had been for the past 4 months. I updated to iTunes 10.5 this morning and PdaNet will no longer work through USB mode. The PdaNet desktop client sees the phone and can initiates the connection. However after about 2 seconds I receive Dialup failed, error=692 (state=2)! State 2 is the Connecting to Data Network stage. I did notice that when I plugged in my phone it ran a brief 10 sec sync without me initiating. Hopefully, PdaNet will have an update soon.

9. dan319 macrumors newbie

facing the same problem!! :(

hey guys after updating to itunes 10.5 my pdanet also stopped working gives error - Dialup failed, error=692 (state=2) - then I uninstalled 10.5 and went to the previous version of itunes and it staring working again.....so there is some compatibility issue with pdanet and itunes10.5....jus hoping they update pdanet.....is there any other app to tethering except mywi??? mywi is too expensive im not paying that much

10. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ