iTunes 10.5 on Windows?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by My name is Alex, Jun 7, 2011.

1. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Hey guys, I was just wondering, if my friend has a Mac and we get iOS 5 by actually buying it, will I be able to go back home to my windows computer and restore it on iTunes 10.3? I'm just curious as I really want to try the OS but still want to keep my data, thanks!

2. DJThro macrumors newbie

I just tried this a little bit ago with someone else. I updated their phone to iOS 5 and let them sync it on their iTunes 10.2, but it did not work. Said they had to be using iTunes 10.5 for that new software to sync their backup file. Because they were on Mac, we just updated them to iTunes 10.5 and it worked fine. But I purposely did that to see if it would work on PCs and it looks like without 10.5, you're out of luck.

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

According to this thread, one user mentions iTunes 10.5 exists for Windows in both 32 and 64 bit releases...

But you're better off waiting for a second release before you try this iOS.

4. DJThro macrumors newbie

If you are able to get iTunes 10.5, then it should work Windows or Mac. But anything earlier than 10.5 will not work.

5. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I downloaded iTunes 10.5 beta 64 bit windows and installed it, make sure give it administrative privilege, then put my iPad 2 to dfu mode and installed ios5.

6. My name is Alex thread starter macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Hey Guys, I got 10.5 working, but I only have the DMG file of the os, and windows doesnt recognise it. Is there a way I can convert it to recognise??

7. Mdifilm macrumors regular

Get a trial software that can open dmg file and you r set.

8. My name is Alex thread starter macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Thanks, I've tried a couple trial ones but none seem to work. Would you happen to know of a reliable trial? Because I'v barely got any idea what I'm searching for. Thanks.

9. Adam1989 macrumors newbie

You need the windows version of iTunes 10.5 google around for it and that will work, your goingdown completely the wrong path with the dmg thing. :)

10. My name is Alex thread starter macrumors regular

My name is Alex

I already have 10.5 working, it just doesnt recognize the DMG file, as it is a Mac file. That's why I need a converter.

11. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I used MacDrive and it works !!
    http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

12. Mdifilm macrumors regular

13. My name is Alex thread starter macrumors regular

My name is Alex

14. Omniver macrumors member

15. bakergb, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

bakergb macrumors newbie

I use TransMac. iTunes 10.5 for Windows isn't working properly yet. The Dev Center has deactivated the download link, so hopefully they are fixing it.

Also, it would be safer to wait until the next iOS5 beta, unless you are upgrading a phone you only use for testing and not everyday use. Several crucial apps aren't working yet, such as MS Exchange. Apple claims you can't restore to an earlier iOS, but I was able to restore my iPad. I can't back it up in iTunes, but I can sync it. I had to use the iPhone Configuration Utility to get MS Exchange to work again. Several scary moments until I got it resolved.