iTunes 10.5 says 'missing component, error -42403'

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Heisler98, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Heisler98 macrumors member

I am running Lion 10.7.2 and before I updated the OS, I installed the new iTunes from Software Update. iTunes was working perfectly fine before I installed, and then when I installed (which went fairly fast, and i'm on a MBP mid-2010 2.4 Ghz) iTunes displayed an error immediately: 'A required iTunes component is not installed. Please reinstall iTunes. (-42403)'

I've uninstalled through AppCleaner AND CleanMyMac several times, and even followed steps from Apple discussions help people. I've reinstalled, and even downgraded after several hours of looking for old versions to 10.4.1, which gave the same error. I need 10.5 to update to iOS 5, and that leads to my other problem: even though iTunes still displays and works fine with my library, when I plug in any iOS device it says: The contents of this @@@@ cannot be read. Please restore from the Summary tab of your device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to iOS 5, and I only have access to my Mac until Monday! And since I can't install it, I'm at a standstill. Anyone who can help me please do so! Even if you could point me in the right direction for what the component that is not installed, I could find my way around the system.

Thank you a lot!
    heisler98

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: