iTunes 10.6.3 on PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark8, Mar 30, 2014.

1. mark8 macrumors member

mark8

Anyone else having connection issues with iTunes radio?
    Was just working fine, stopped working. Get this error

"An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later".

my internet works fine(FIOS)
    G5 PPC Dual 2.5Ghz OSX 10.5.8
    thx for any help

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, the service is probably down for some reason. This happened to me a bit ago when I tried using iTunes 9 on my iMac G3. I verified it by opening iTunes 10 on my QS and got the same error.

So the service has to be down right now. Annoying, but at least there's Pandora.

3. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

yep, down here as well.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Alright, that makes North and South America. Wonder if it's more widespread than that?

5. Graveyard macrumors regular

6. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

iTunes 10.6.3

Thanks for the reply Gents!
    How long was it down last time?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There was a last time?

This is the first time I've ever had it happen, which is why I ask.

8. hongkong88 macrumors newbie

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just for the heck of it I tried the Radio on iTunes 8, doesn't work on it either. On a side note, oh how I've seriously missed the UI of iTunes 8. I personally think it's the best looking version of iTunes. Pity it can't access the iTunes Music Store or stream media from an iTunes 9+ shared library. At least I can still authorize my iTunes account with it.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

11. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All I've been able to find is two posts about this on the Apple forums. Neither was resolved. One answer mentioned that Apple may be upgrading things and that if it works on newer versions of iTunes (read iTunes 11.x) but not older versions then it may now be broken.

Have to keep an eye on it I guess. But aparently it has happened before and broke parts of iTunes 7.x.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No dice on my G4 (iTunes 9). I can't even find iTunes Radio on iTunes 11 on my PC.

14. bobtennis, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

bobtennis macrumors member

May be a PPC issue

I got exactly the same message as the OP on my old Mac Mini PPC with OSX 10.5.x yesterday, and the day before. I was going to use this machine with iTunes as an Internet Radio tuner for a stereo system.

The bad news is, iTunes Internet Radio works fine with my Intel based Macs. Maybe the support for iTunes Radio is another area where this machine is showing it's age by losing support? I hope not! I was still able to access individual internet radio stations by accessing their websites directly, and using the service's player instead of iTunes.

Addendum: Also, iTunes Internet Radio still works fine on a Windows PC

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wonderful! :mad::(

How much does anyone want to bet Apple just cut us all off!

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't work on an Intell Mac running iTunes 10.6.3.

17. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

My guess is Apple will want us to pay $$ for continued support, or just drop it altogether for us PPC users. Hope I'm wrong. If that happens....to bad Audion went away

18. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Down in the UK on iTunes 10.6.3 as well. Last time this happened though, where iTunes 9 and below stopped working, it did come back on eventually - I can only hope it does again and Apple haven't just pulled the plug!

19. wm.local macrumors newbie

Same here...

My first post and thanks for being here. Like the OP, I am using an iMac Power PC G5 OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) and iTunes 10.6.3 with the exact same 'connection error' message.
    I lost my radio service last week and am glad that I found this discussion by Googling for answers. I'm not the only one!
    I spoke with Apple support today and they sent me a link to uninstall and reinstall the iTunes software for ver 10.6.3. (this is the latest and greatest version that these older machines can use).
    It did not restore my radio service and he was unaware that the radio service had been curtailed to users. I'm sure that they would say something if it had been discontinued for legacy machines.
    I am willing to wait out the return of this service My Library is still intact. and I hope that it does return as I do miss it. In the meantime, there are other streaming music services to choose from.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's gotta be older Macs running 10.6.3 and less. It's working just fine on my work MacPro with iTunes 11.1.5.

21. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

I don't suppose there's a way to fake the server with 10.6.3. Kinda like the browsers in other threads

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I doubt it. I don't even know what protocol internet radio is. I suppose that it's http, but who knows.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Guys! Here's a workaround!!!

Find the direct stream of the radio station you want to listen to and copy it. Open iTunes and go to the Advanced menu and "Open Stream." CMD+U if you are so inclined. Paste and then click OK. Your radio station will open directly!

Here's my direct stream to 128k Drone Zone: http://somafm.com/dronezone.pls

Opened right up and I'm listening to it now. Hopefully this will only be temporary!

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Note, once you add your streams you'll get a new playlist labeled Internet Songs. You can go back to your streams using that playlist if you quit iTunes and then come back to it.

No need to re-enter the stream every time you want to listen.

25. mark8 thread starter macrumors member

mark8

yeah I figured that thanks!!
    problem is finding some of those streams that I used to listen to