iTunes 10.6 for Leopard ppc available

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's impressive. I might have to not sell my G4 mini and use it for music instead. I'm impressed Apple continues to support it like this... it's very un-Appleish of them.

pistooli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
Macintosh Hardware

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor and 512MB of RAM
To play Standard Definition video from the iTunes Store, a 1.0GHz PowerPC G4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM is required
To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 1GB of RAM is required
To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required
Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work
Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work

Macintosh Software

Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later
Safari 4.0.3 or later
200MB of available disk space
iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match availability may vary by country

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
They update the software where the money is. Kind of pathetic but brilliant from a marketing point of view.

Nova77

May 12, 2011
Nice!

Even though I can't play the HD videos I keep them (the free ones) and burn them to disc or store on and external hard drive.
Have you tried CorePlayer yet? I bought it a while ago because it was the only way I could play HD animes on my Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz. It's $20 but I encourage any PPC user to buy it because it does miracles compared to VLC or quicktime. Maybe if enough PPC users buy it, they will still support us on the next update?...

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
They update the software where the money is. Kind of pathetic but brilliant from a marketing point of view.
Apple if you are hearing this, lot's of iOs users are using tiger, please launch a new itunes for tiger or a "patch" for the older itunes to work with the new ipods/iOs :p

Have you tried CorePlayer yet? I bought it a while ago because it was the only way I could play HD animes on my Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz. It's $20 but I encourage any PPC user to buy it because it does miracles compared to VLC or quicktime. Maybe if enough PPC users buy it, they will still support us on the next update?...
X2, best money I ever spent on software.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple if you are hearing this, lot's of iOs users are using tiger, please launch a new itunes for tiger or a "patch" for the older itunes to work with the new ipods/iOs :p.
While another Tiger version would be nice, I think Apple has killed all support for it. The last few versions of iTunes for Tiger shipped with replacement frameworks because the ones in Tiger where so outdated.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
While another Tiger version would be nice, I think Apple has killed all support for it. The last few versions of iTunes for Tiger shipped with replacement frameworks because the ones in Tiger where so outdated.
Leopard is nearly there too. Pretty sure the past 6 - 8 months I've only ever had iTunes updates and Safari 5.0.6 in June... it's rare for me to even touch software update now. Mostly everything I've turned off auto update checking due to apps and that wanting Intel versions.

Nova77

May 12, 2011
Is it just me or 10.6 sounds like s*** compared to 10.4.1??? I tried the same songs on both versions, back to back, and sound was WAY better on 10.4.1. Sounds fuller, greater left-right pan (sound surrounds you more) and more bass.

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
That's impressive. I might have to not sell my G4 mini and use it for music instead. I'm impressed Apple continues to support it like this... it's very un-Appleish of them.
They have PPC version of OSX Mountain Lion made "just in case" also so they drop these little clues for us. ;)

Maybe MacPro will be RISC based machine in the future.. IBM Power7 processors are way more powerful than any Xeons out there!

ARM is RISC too..

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
They have PPC version of OSX Mountain Lion made "just in case" also so they drop these little clues for us. ;)

Maybe MacPro will be RISC based machine in the future.. IBM Power7 processors are way more powerful than any Xeons out there!

ARM is RISC too..
As far as there being another Power Based Mac, I highly doubt that. At least for consumer products, there are tons of advantages to X86 as far as support and compatibility goes, which is one of the primary reasons they switched over in the first place.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
IIRC, it wasn't that PPC processors couldn't be delivered fast enough that Apple switched, but mainly because the G5 couldn't be made efficient enough for mobile usage, and they were kind of stuck at a dead end on that one. (I could be wrong, though.)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I was referring to now about the power7 chips..

Does IBM currently have the production capability to keep Apple in chips along with it's other commitments?