iTunes 10.6 will not open = Crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tears2040, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tears2040 macrumors 6502

Need some help here...... I have uninstalled and reinstalled with nothing.... Even tried to go back to an older version and nothing.......

Options?????????

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quit iTunes, then delete the following file, then relaunch iTunes.
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist​
    If that doesn't help, use Disk Utility to verify permissions and repair them, if necessary.

3. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I have been suffering from iTunes 10.6 crashing. Each time I clicked on my Music Library in the left hand colum it just crashed out, as I see others have been suffering too.

I didn't want to install an older iTunes, so I remembered a trick I had to use when I had problems with Quicktime once after upgrading.

Sometimes the OS cache retains old files/info/whatever even though you have just upgraded. So you end up trying to run a new version of the software with old library file info.

So, just now I did two things. Firstly I used Onyx to clear out all caches, Quicktime and whatever else. At the time Onyx also reported that my HDD needed repairing too. So I rebooted and repaired the boot volume and also repaired permissions.

Once rebooted I loaded iTunes and voila, no more crashing when I clicked on my music library! I think this was more to do with me clearing out the caches than it was to do with repairing the boot volume. But you might want to check the latter anyway just in case.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, the reverse is more likely. Generally speaking, clearing caches isn't advisable unless doing so is specific to a particular issue. Clearing them can negatively impact performance, as the caches would have to be rebuilt.

5. SimonMW macrumors 6502

Umm yes. I would say that a crashing piece of software is specific to a particular issue! I can't say that the minor inconvenience of the caches being rebuilt in order to solve a crashing issue is something to be overly concerned about! Performance is only impacted for the very short time it takes to rebuild them.

As it is, iTunes worked for a bit, and now crashes again, so back to the drawing board. However I would still recommend it as a troubleshooting step over and above messing around with Plist files and library folders and so on and so forth. Lets face it, it is a bit silly to suggest that emptying the cache is a more drastic step compared to some of the previous suggestions!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't suggest that it was a more drastic step. Quite the opposite. It's simply less likely to have an impact on the crashing issue than repairing a disk that has errors.

7. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I'm afraid that simply isn't the case, as my previous experience of a buggy upgraded Quicktime release went. The only thing I did in that instance was to flush the cache, and it worked perfectly ever after.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read my post. I didn't say it would never work. I said:
    If you have a disk with errors on it, repairing those errors has a higher likelihood of correcting problems than clearing a cache would.

9. Mac-Ten macrumors newbie

I'm having these same problems of iTunes crashing after update. This is the first time I've ever had problems on my mac, so like, how do I do this?

10. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

based on apples track record with iTunes they usually dont release updates such as 10.6.1 for at least a month later! :(