iPad iTunes 10.7 vs iPad3 on 7.02 Is there a workaround?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by braddick, Oct 19, 2013.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I recently downgraded iTunes to 10.7 and after having successfully done so see now that my iPad3 loaded with 7.02 gives up an error message:

"The iPad “iPad” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.1 or later. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

It was a long shot but I thought perhaps I could use Redsn0w and downgrade to 5.1.1 (I have those blobs saved) but Redsn0w also comes up with an error stating 5.1.1 is no longer being signed.

Is my iPad now useless on 10.7 or is there a method of getting the two to coexist?

2. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

I have an iPad 3 with iOS 7.02, and iTunes 11.1 on Windows. I'm not crazy about iTunes 11 or the iOS music app, but nothing is outright broken. What issues are you seeing?

I also sold my iPad 1 today, and used iTunes to restore a clean iOS 5.1.1 on it. That's also the last version that iPad can run, but the restore worked.

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Until I choose to update my iPhone to 7.02 I've downgraded iTunes so as to prevent further popups "encouraging" me to update to iOS7.

I also like the flow of iTunes 10.7 much better than 11.XX

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What? iTunes popups to upgrade to iOS 7 can be dismissed with one click, and they never popup again. If you are thinking of how to prevent over-the-air updates, iTunes has nothing to do with that.

I do get that people like iTunes 10 better, but after putting back the sidebar and changing the search function to behave like it did with 10, there's almost no difference.

5. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

You're right about that. It took some experimentation, and now I see iTunes plays no role in over-the-air updates of any kind.

Still prefer 10.7 for other reasons though.

As far as the subject matter, I have messed around and see I can simply continue to update over iCloud.
    I suppose it doesn't matter the iTunes version as syncing and loading content isn't inhibited over wireless/iCloud.

Other than to upgrade firmware I won't be needing iTunes directly with the iPad.